1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Power Stroke Alternator Issue?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SiteSolutions, Jun 13, 2007.

1. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

My '03 F-350 died yesterday from apparent lack of voltage. Two big ass batteries that are only 3 months old could only carry the truck so long. So I am wondering if anybody has seen similar problems? Yesterday was in the mid 90's and I had just climbed a pretty big hill and then had to back up a few hundred feet; wonder if all this combined was too much heat on a weak link?

It's at the dealer now (I just got it 3 weeks ago and have a 90 day warranty) so hopefully they will get it straightened out today and I will be back in my truck tomorrow.

2. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

My buddy has a '02 F-350 and the batteries and alternator went bad about a month ago. The batteries were a year old and the alternator 2 years old. All at once. But he had warranties on everything so he didnt pay a dime.:rolleyes:

3. SiteSolutions

The dealer gave me a loaner, an '04 F-350. I called today and they said they may not even get to my truck tomorrow. I don't mind waiting a day or two; what's important to me is that they fix it right, and they fix it free. If they can do that, I won't mind to get it back on Monday.

Two weeks ago, the battery light came on. I found a loose connection on the back of the alternator and tightened it up. I -=*thought*=- that was the end of it. Yesterday, the gauges stopped working, then the transmission started shifting funny, then I pulled over. It ran about two minutes and then the engine stopped running. All the major symptoms of no charging going on. Only this time, I didn't get a battery light. Next purchase for this truck is going to be a set of gauges, at least an ammeter and a trans temp gauge.

4. SiteSolutions

Dealer had it done today. Had to replace alternator and fuseblock. Would have been well over a grand with the tow and labor, but they fixed it under warranty. I am pretty grateful. If anybody is in the general area and looking for a truck, I got a good deal and treated right at Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville.

5. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Your not the only one, my alternator went on my 06 F350 at around 15,000 miles