1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

power weelbarrow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cut-rite, Apr 3, 2001.

1. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

I am thinking about getting a power weelbarrow to use on some large property's for spring clean up. I could also use it for some of my selective cutting work. The unit I am looking at holds 800 lbs-6hp goes 5 mph made by DRmower co-I know---- homeowner grade. Anyone else use something like this ? Any commercial grade units? Is it worth looking at? I can't justify 6-8 K for a gator,I'm just not that big. Any help would be appreciated, thanks,Brad

2. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

If you're using a ZTR you could get a JRCO bin for the front and pull a trailer for a lot less than that DR thing. If you don't have a Z, look at the difference between buying the DR and buying a Z with attachments and see how much more money you can make by upping your productivity with the Z. Personally, I use a Kawasaki mule [in addition to my LazerZ] which is a much better machine than the Gator because 1]higher ground clearance 2]chain drive not belts which slip when wet 3]4 wheel drive can climb a tree 4] cheaper 5]available in diesel this year.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You can also use a walkbehind for that. It would be perfect. A whole monting frame with support bars, and when you are not using it, just pull a couple of pins, and off it comes.

4. rider1000

rider1000 LawnSite Member

I have used one of the DR wheelbarrows you are refering to when I was involved in the masonry profession. We abused the thing like crazy and it ran and ran without any major problems. One time it did get a leaking transaxle gasket, took it to a registered repair shop and had it back in two days, no questions asked, great customer service. It is a good piece of equipment. Kind of pricey though unless you plan on using it to do a lot of work. If you have a definite need for it, I wouldn't hesitate recommending one.

5. cut-rite

cut-rite LawnSite Member

Mr ziffel and runner , thanks , I do have a Z and a walk behind but neither is any good in rough terain like for selective cutting . Has anyone used any units like these off the beaten path?
    thanks,Brad

6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

JRCO also has a wheel barrow attachment for walkbehind mowers!