1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Power!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was wondering what HP engine I should grab when getting my WB.

what HP will pull me around and turn blades w/o bogging on a 36" wb, belt, and what HP should i get if i got a 48"

Thanks
    Clint

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Well how big are ya? :D

Seriously, I have had, and do have 36's with 12.5 Kawaski's that pull me around on a velke just fine. They are plenty strong to pull you and turn the blades. Having said that, I would not hesitate to get the biggest engine I could for the machine. I would think 14 hp on a 48 as a minimum.

Jay

3. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

12.5 works good for the 36" and pulled me (200lb) a round with jungle wheels , and it was a gear drive.

cant give you info on the 48" i never had one.

4. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Banned

You need a 15 hp on a 36" to effectively run doubles on heavy leaves or turf.
    I believe a 18 on the Wright Stander is the biggest hp currently avail. on a 36".

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

16hp Briggs Vanguard has pulled me now with no problems for 9yrs at a top speed of 7.4mph. On a 36" id still go with a 15hp. To much power is better than to little. Marks Mowing Service ps mine are both 52s I called today to checkout a 36" exmark TT 4599.00 and my dealer won't budge on price also has the ECS contros.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 36" has the 12.5 kawi. It has plenty of power and I run the exmark mulching kit on it. I never take it off. Put the sulky behind it sometimes also. If it was going to be my front line, primary mower I would get the 14 kawi. For a 48", a 14 hp minimum.

7. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

johny walker
    i had forgot to add that i used dbls blades .
    the 12.5 done a very good job and left some nice stripes.
    the 36" never glogged . i did have to go slow in very tall grass but those jobs should have been bush hogged.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you get a 14 on a 36 and a 17 on a 48 you will have power to spare.

9. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy with the most power you can get! We have a 36" encore hydro and when the 14hp kawasaki finally died we converted it to a 25hp kohler with electric start. Why the 25? because the dealer had a deal that I could not refuse! This mower striped good before but now it really does a beautiful job!

10. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

25hp on a 36" mower!!!! what, do you race that thing at the local track too?-LOL seriously though i agree with richard 14hp for 36", and 17hp for a 48", but then again if you find a better price on a stronger engine so be it.