1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Powered Bed Edger Basics 101

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brad Ent, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

I have a couple of large mulching jobs lined up and historically always edged with a shovel.
    How much of a learning curve is there to get the hang of it?
    Does it operate like a straight blade edger??
    Any suggestions on set up and operations??

2. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a bed scaper yesterday for a job and it worked great. There is no learning curve that I saw. I justed painted the line where I wanted the beds and then followed them. I probably did about a hundred feet in 10-15 minutes. I would definitely recommend it.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

A Brown Bed Edger puts the dirt back in the bed rather than in the grass. They are easy to use....

4. Ecoscape01

Ecoscape01 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow I just looked at the prices for the Brown models. Man it's gonna be a while before I can afford one. I've known about them for a while but ain't got the the money. I can't wait though cuz after trenching/edging about 250 linear feet this weekend, I can't wait to have one of those

5. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

around here you can rent them for about $50 an afternoon. if i get this big mulching job that i bid i will be renting one next week...

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I also edged for a couple of years with a shovel, then bought a 1-blade edger.

Supposedly there is this and that method but I just think of mine as a handheld ditchwitch, it really clears out that trench in short order, spitting out dirt at a pretty decent rate, it's not much faster than a shovel but sure is easier on me.

I still don't get what they told me at the store, I kinda usually hold mine at an angle for mulch beds to get that wide berm, but I hold it straight along curbs and walkways to get that narrow likety-split like crack. Some folks like the narrow thingy around their beds, but most prefer the trench (as do I) so again think of it as a tiny ditchwitch and just let that blade dig the dirt for you.

You might use a blower afterwards to get some of the dirt cleaned up, sometimes going over 2-3 times helps also, either way it's not bad but it takes a little practice, I'm no Jedi master by any means but it's a cool tool to use.

7. BMFL79

BMFL79 LawnSite Member

Don't forget to have the power lines marked, as well as sprinkler systems, phone lines, etc. The bed edgers will eat through anything. I have a brown bed edger, and it works great. I have found, however, that if the ground is too wet, it will clump up fast.

But there is nothing better if you are trying to put a new edge on a bed in August when the ground is so dry. Plus the builders around here will bury any kind of junk in the ground to avoid picking it up. Last summer I was edging a fairly new house and found a slab of concrete about 3 feet around buried about 3 inches under the sod. It might have been the cleanout from the concrete truck. You never know what you are going to find buried near a house.

Better to find it with the edger that by breaking an ankle when you put try to put your edging shovel into concrete.