1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pre emergent for ornimentals? Good all around choice?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lsylvain, Nov 26, 2018.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

After 20 plus years I finally bit the bullet and took my LCLM test so I could do weeds. I'm still not sure if I want to, but more and more guys are just doing it so it is becoming an issue being honest and telling customers I won't/can't do weeds.

With the amount of products out there and the cost involved in some of them, I figured I'd better try and get some input on what would be a good all around pre emergent to get me started. Or does anyone know of a place that one could get small "sample size" quantities of products that you could test out.

Also, if anyone has a descent broadleaf post-emergent over the top they could recommend, especially for use on junipers that would be awesome.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

Over the top snapshot gets alot likes.

I use a mix of gallery and prodiamine for beds. You will need to check label to see if it list your plants as tolerant.

That Guy Gary and Doc8406 like this.
  3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i used freehand last year it worked good but have issues with spurge..the area that had spurge was out front where there is alot of water..

hort101 likes this.
  4. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Member

I use snapshot

BrandonV likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Over the top is actually a weed killer all on its own (use it to kill grass in low growing junipers)

Snap shot, surflan, treflan are all similar
    Surflan can stain concrete or natural rock, so it’s bad to use on gravel beds.

Casaron can be used with ornamentals but kills anything with shallow roots (grasses, annuals, ground covers (hit or miss)
    If you just have a bed with trees and woody shrubs casaron works wonders, can keep beds weed free all year with one application.
    But if you over apply , or apply near a rain spout, it has a tendency to leech and can kill turf adjacent to a bed (much less likely to happen with formal edging)

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

I was referring to over the top application method.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea
    I thought so
    But it’s also the name for a weed killer in ornamentals

8. Steven Harnois

Steven Harnois LawnSite Member

How is snapshot with hostas, lilies and irises?

9. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Never had a problem with them, label does have a list of ornamentals, etc. to be cautious of...

10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the info.

Surflan was what I was leaning towards. I only have a handful of rock beds.