Pre-emergent on xeriscape?

Outlawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Have a new customer with an existing xeriscape with river rocks. It has several desert shrubs and lots of weeds at the moment. I will, of course, spray the weeds with herbicide. I'm wondering, though, if I can apply a granular pre-emergent and water it in to control future weeds?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric

LawnSite Fanatic
Have a new customer with an existing xeriscape with river rocks. It has several desert shrubs and lots of weeds at the moment. I will, of course, spray the weeds with herbicide. I'm wondering, though, if I can apply a granular pre-emergent and water it in to control future weeds?
Posted via Mobile Device

Why don't you add a liquid Pre Emerge to your Round Up sprayer. Or Just Buy Roundup Extend which already has a Pre Emerge.

Most weeds will grow in the same spot. So you gain the best economy control of weeds by only treating those spots. By adding Pre Emerge of using Roundup Extend you are applying two controls in one operation.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Posted via Mobile Device

See if Casoron is available in your state.

It's what I use in rock beds, works like a charm.

Dimension will work too.

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
Why don't you add a liquid Pre Emerge to your Round Up sprayer. Or Just Buy Roundup Extend which already has a Pre Emerge.

Most weeds will grow in the same spot. So you gain the best economy control of weeds by only treating those spots. By adding Pre Emerge of using Roundup Extend you are applying two controls in one operation.

Sound advise, really no need working any harder than need be.
easy-lift guy

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic

The problem is that that there is no liquid Pre-Em has an extremely large broad range of control compared to something like snapshot that is granular.

So personally, I'd use snapshot and water in. The granules will work in between the rocks so that you don't have a liquid over-spray sticking to the surface of the rock, and not getting down where you really need it.

Then water the rocks to get the barrier of control from the snapshot.

My 2 cents...

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
The problem is that that there is no liquid Pre-Em has an extremely large broad range of control compared to something like snapshot that is granular.

So personally, I'd use snapshot and water in. The granules will work in between the rocks so that you don't have a liquid over-spray sticking to the surface of the rock, and not getting down where you really need it.

Then water the rocks to get the barrier of control from the snapshot.

My 2 cents...

What about Surflan or treflan for control?
easy-lift guy

OP
Outlawn

Outlawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
easy-lift guy

That was my thought was to use Surflan XL2G. Hadn't thought about adding liquid pre-emergent to herbicide spray. Don't you have to water in liquid pre-emergent still?
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
easy-lift guy

The orange herbicides are not that strong on broadleaf weeds. Snapshot is a combination of Treflan and Gallery so it is good for both. Treflan lasts all of a few days unless it is watered in. It is prone to evaporation in the heat. Surflan is much more stable in the heat, but I still do not risk it. Then again, all of my preemergent applications are watered in. Sooner they are watered in, sooner they work on weeds. I also want to be assured that whatever I used is locked onto the soil and not going to float away in the next flash flood. Ronstar has a specific requirement that it be watered in and reentry by unprotected persons/animals prohibited until the soil is dry.

easy-lift guy

LawnSite Gold Member
The orange herbicides are not that strong on broadleaf weeds. Snapshot is a combination of Treflan and Gallery so it is good for both. Treflan lasts all of a few days unless it is watered in. It is prone to evaporation in the heat. Surflan is much more stable in the heat, but I still do not risk it. Then again, all of my preemergent applications are watered in. Sooner they are watered in, sooner they work on weeds. I also want to be assured that whatever I used is locked onto the soil and not going to float away in the next flash flood. Ronstar has a specific requirement that it be watered in and reentry by unprotected persons/animals prohibited until the soil is dry.

My old neighbor at one time used snapshot. Although expensive the results were very positive.
easy-lift guy

Top Forums