Pre-emergent, post emergent, and fertilizer application in South Carolina

Jordi

LawnSite Member
I am wanting to start offering pre and post emergents along with fertilizer applications to clients. I can but find anything about having a license other that for pesticides. From what I read you have to either have a 4 year degree or 2 years of experience to spray pesticides for the license. Are herbicides considered pesticides? And do I need all of that just to do weed control and fertilization?

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I am wanting to start offering pre and post emergents along with fertilizer applications to clients. I can but find anything about having a license other that for pesticides. From what I read you have to either have a 4 year degree or 2 years of experience to spray pesticides for the license. Are herbicides considered pesticides? And do I need all of that just to do weed control and fertilization?
Yep, the terminology got me at first too. A "pest" is anything unwanted. Flies, beetles, dandelions, creeping Charlie, mosquitoes mice. Any chemical product you use at someone else's property to deal with these requires a license. Probably issued by your state department of agriculture. There are different categories depending on what your target pest is. You personally need to be licensed. Your business needs licensed. They likely require insurance to go along with the business license.

Fertilizer is largely unregulated and can typically be applied no license so long as it's not blended with pesticides.

Welcome to lawnsite!

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, because you risk state or federal violations if you do it wrong! That’s what the testing and licensure help you understand!

Do guys do it anyway? Sure! Then they come on kawnsite and ask “ why did this chemical do this....”

OP
J

Jordi

LawnSite Member
Yes, because you risk state or federal violations if you do it wrong! That’s what the testing and licensure help you understand!

Do guys do it anyway? Sure! Then they come on kawnsite and ask “ why did this chemical do this....”
I understand getting the license, but most states you just have to go take a few hour course along with multiple test to get your license. In SC I want to know what the steps are for getting the license.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Then your first call tomorrow is to your local county extension or state dept of agriculture! They will be able to tell you what the requirements for your state are, you’ve got your own homework to do, instead of guys from across the country trying to figure it out for you!

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
And I’ll give you a direction, you’ll need to contact the department of pesticide regulation, they handle that; Clemson university has info on the tests! Easily found by a google search! Your welcome!

OP
J

Jordi

LawnSite Member
Then your first call tomorrow is to your local county extension or state dept of agriculture! They will be able to tell you what the requirements for your state are, you’ve got your own homework to do, instead of guys from across the country trying to figure it out for you!
After hours of looking up different Clemson extension websites, because I normally do try to find information myself so I don’t have to deal with people like you. From what I understood about this website it was to use other people for information? I could go through every bodies thread that has ever ask a question and told them to look it up themselves. Thanks

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
After hours of looking up different Clemson extension websites, because I normally do try to find information myself so I don’t have to deal with people like you. From what I understood about this website it was to use other people for information? I could go through every bodies thread that has ever ask a question and told them to look it up themselves. Thanks
You should have called the department of pesticide regulation as I suggested! Their the ones with the answers/directions to your questions!

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Agreed with above. If u were asking about TN licensing I'd tell u what I know but follow it up with contact the State AG department and or county extension. As they and only they have all the answers. And they are the ones that will or won't allow you to get certified and licensed. And may I also add that at least our state AG and extension is very helpful. I would assume others as well.