• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Pre-M vs Dimension vs TruGreen

OP
DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper

LawnSite Silver Member
++++why couldnt you just roundup spray it if you want it dead and the bermuda is dormant?++++

I made that mistake on my own lawn about three or four years ago. I thought it was dormant, because the grass wasn't green anymore, so I spot treated weeds with Roundup. That spring, I had littel dead spots all over my lawn til about June 1st.

Bermuda doesn't ever really go completely dormant here in north Texas. It turns brown after the first freeze, but it ain't completely dormant.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

mikeswag

LawnSite Member
dfw,
You can spray the area with "Round-up." However, you must spray at a low rate 25ozs./acre or less. That is for Round-up / Prosecutor pro. It is best to spray with a well calibrated sprayer and DO NOT BLAST IT INTO THE CANOPY. The crowns of the bermudagrass are less likely to be dormant in dallas.

you could also spray the area with reward. This will burn the undesired plants back. Again, do not spray through the canopy. Only spray what you want to kill at LOW rates.

hope this helps,
mike

NCL

LawnSite Member
I'm not to familair with your area or turf, but I was just wondering Why are you applying so many pre-m's? Only the first one should be your pre-m, maybe the second if you know the area to have alot of crabgrass. Your missing out on all the slow release, iron and micronutrients benifits you get from useing a 24-5-11 with 5%iron and 50% slow release or other similar products. What about a wintercare application to help the turf store carbs through the winter. Do other guys in the area use different programs or are they doing the same-all pre-m?

scottt

LawnSite Senior Member
NCL,
If you read the very top of his first post, you will see that is his pre-m schedule only. I have an idea he has one or two fert only apps between them. I am from a little further north but we have the same type of turf and this is how I see it. The winterizer app. is the 25-2-5 in October. Two pre-m apps. in spring are much better because of the climate in the area. We only do one fall pre here but almost everyone does two winter/spring pre-m apps. Again I might be wrong but our climate is fairly similar to his. Just some of the differences between the northern and southern U.S.

scottsslave

LawnSite Member
DO U SPRAY THE WEEDS BOTH LAWNS DONT LOOK TO HEALTHY WE WOULD HAVE SERVICE CALLS IF ANY OF ARE LAWNS LOOKED THAT BAD BUT WHEN WAS THIS PICTURE TAKEN IF IT WAS LATE IN THE SEASON YOU REALLY CANT COMPARE :confused: ;)

mikeswag

LawnSite Member
I think the biggest problem with multiple pre-m/ pendimethalin apps. is the root stunting. The all pre-emergents, except Ronstar, will stunt root growth. If you want to grow healthy turf....2-3 pre-emergent apps with 2-4 post emergent apps would be better. Another thing to consider is chemical resistance. I know poa will become resistent to pre-m. It is best to switch-up your chemistry as much as possible. You might try surflan/gallery in the february(best on late winter broadleaf weeds,) pre-m in late april-early may (best on crab & goosegrass,) and ronstar/surflan/barricade in late august/early september. Spot treat w/ three-way throughout the year.

mike

tremor

LawnSite Bronze Member
Pre-M (pendimethalin) or Dimension (dithiopyr) perform almost identically when viewing large samplings of university tests. they are at least close enough to dispel this theory.

So I don't believe this accounts for the problem.

But the inconsistent irrigation practices would account for poor efficacy. Pre-M is fairly tolerant of "waiting for the water" needed to created your pre-emergent barrier. More tolerant than most actually. But while waiting for the water, all pre-emergent herbicides are subject to photo-degradation & volatilization.

Combine the suspect post-application irrigation potential with the less than ideal water-management stressed turf & we have the stage set for poor herbicide efficacy.

Other factors to consider are thatch density, insect damage to your customers turf, disease pressure on the turf canopy, etc. Really any factor that stresses your customers turf is possible cause for pre-emergent barrier failure.

Steve

mikeswag

LawnSite Member
timturf,
you are correct. I am still a superintendent and help with several sports fields. I had to mention Ronstar...I just applied over 400# 50wg.
I would love to apply Ronstar and preferably regalcade(ronstar/barricade) to my residential accounts.....but I don't.

mike
btw, they are trying to get it approved for residential.