• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Preferred Mowing Setup

kevvanderhoof

LawnSite Member
What is the preferred setup for mowing lawns? I am not talking about specific brands of mowers, but how many mowers, what size crew, what size truck, etc. I mow residential lawns (all sizes) as well as a medium sized commercial job. I will be doing some snow plowing next winter.

PTP

LawnSite Bronze Member
The preferred setup is one where you have the most efficient use of all workers and equipment.

If you take a 52" mower to a property with a 40" gate - you are not efficient
If you have 4 workers on a small residential property and 2 guys don't have enough to do - you are not efficient
If you use a 21" mower on a 3 acre property - you are not efficient

I think that you get my point.

Don't service "all sizes" of properties. Pick the size/type that you want and purchace the equipment that will be appropriate for those properties whether it be a 21" pushmower or a 10' wide area mower.

Lawn Masters

LawnSite Senior Member
PTP has a good point. I do residentials mostly, and they're generally small lawns, so I stick with a 21" mower for now. no way I'm gonna fit a 60" ztr through a 36" gate. when I've got the extra cash, I'm putting a 32" wb into my lineup for more efficiency. I find that one man on small residentials gets plenty done, but 2 is a touch faster.