• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Premium Compost source

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Hey everyone....I took a foray into compost application like 6 years ago and found that it was a miserable business. I did not source good compost, did not have a good machine to apply (had an Ecolawn, sold). Lessons learned. Interested in getting back in the game for the coming season. However, instead of approaching lawn topdressing as a soil amendment gig, going more at the angle of choosing a super premium fine particle compost to perhaps substitute an application of standard chemical fertilizer for my best 20-30 clients. Attacking the natural nutrient aspect rather than applying a big wad of material trying to amend the soil (which kills a man, moving that much material). Anyone in the Upper Midwest suggest a good supplier of premium compost? Would love to keep the source as local to me as possible. Thx!

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Senior Member
Plaisted up in Rogers MN has great soil/compost blending. Also the Mulch Store in the Twin Cities has some really good compost made from leaf refuse but the quality could be off sometimes depending in location and timing when I left the cities 4 years ago.

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
Have you ever thought of using a product like this
/www.landscapemanagement.net/sponsoredcontent/anuvias-new-greentrx-family-of-sustainable-products/I do the compost thing but it is never done most of the time it is still steaming when you get it. It takes a while to see results i have also put down 10 lbs at a time of health grow 2-4-3 works real good.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
Check with your SiteOne for Clarus 4-4-2. It's pure composted poultry manure that can be spread with any fert spreader.

Compost tea is a good option if it is made properly. There is a a steep learning curve on how to make good tea.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
If your customers want a more organic--sustainable approach...wouldn't it be easier to apply an organic fert for your organically inclined customers (or all customers in rounds 2 and 4?)
Check out your local sources of poultry manure pellets. Or Bio-solids. Or Screamin' Green. Or similar "bridge products " with a bio-solids base, plus iron with a standard fert for more potassium. Maybe combine compost with Screamin Green, if you can find a way to apply it without breaking your back.

Customers will seldom care about the difference.

Naturally, you need soil tests to help you and your customers understand what needs to be applied to feed the soil.
Be sure you can intelligently discuss texture, organic matter, cation exchange capacity, aeration, micronutrients, and lots more I don't know about.
Maybe there is an outfit that will test your soils for the ratio of bad bacteria to friendly fungi. What is your actinomycete ratio?

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic

If you don't make good compost tea, you're just spraying brown water.
Many people tried making tea about 10 -15 years ago. For the most part very few are sill doing so.

Last edited:
OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
What we have here, for the most part, is anaerobic tight clay with a high CEC and pH averaging 7.5. Nutrients get tied up in the soil profile and aren't readily available to turf. I aerate and have applied Humic DG and Sulfur to a few of my very best lawns for a couple seasons now. They are showing gradual improvement. It's long term commitment. Nothing happens fast with clay....except necrotic ring spot if you do nothing.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
What we have here, for the most part, is anaerobic tight clay with a high CEC and pH averaging 7.5. Nutrients get tied up in the soil profile and aren't readily available to turf. I aerate and have applied Humic DG and Sulfur to a few of my very best lawns for a couple seasons now. They are showing gradual improvement. It's long term commitment. Nothing happens fast with clay....except necrotic ring spot if you do nothing.
yes correcting this is a process, not an event.