Preparing for winter months and salt

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by USCavalry69, Oct 8, 2017.

1. USCavalry69

USCavalry69 LawnSite Member

So weve got a large residential neighborhood we are subbed out to do snow removal on sidewalks and driveways/parking areas. Township clears the main roads. We will be using our Z Max’s with plows to do a lot of the big areas and some of the walks. Smaller snow blowers and shovels for the rest. I’m wondering if there is a product available to put down on the turf to negate any excess salt that may get on it. We have the contract for the turf care starting next year as well. I could probably get away with a drop spreader for salting the sidewalks but it is a lot of sidewalk and would require multiple refills. If I could just use a 220lb hopper and two or three bags of salt in the rear carry bucket of the machine that would be ideal. My concern is not being able to dial the spinner down enough to keep salt in the confines of the hard surface area. I suppose I could also fab up a shield for the right side of the machine since it already has one on the left. Now I’m just thinking out loud as I type this. Main question is: does anyone know of anything to be sprayed or spread on turf to mitigate or prevent some salt damage?

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

Not aware of anything, salt is salt. Once it gets on turf area the only thing that really gets rid of it. Is spring rains, irrigation, until it slowly gets washed out and diluted.
    Here in MN, everyone is so scared of slip-n-fall lawsuits they salt so much, come spring the grass is pure white for 18" from every sidewalk.
    Biggest help is don't let snow and ice build up in the first place. Then you don't need as much salt.

On a call likes this.
  3. USCavalry69

Yea we have a lot of liability and have always been good about salt usage for the situation. The only damage we have had in the past is some pushed up sod from a plow or skid loader bucket. I can just foresee some salt damage on either side of the walks though because they’re so narrow. Might just go with a drop spreader. It’s all T & M anyway.

4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

Why not go with a liquid since you are using a zspray anyhow?

On a call, Mow-Daddy.com and hort101 like this.
  5. USCavalry69

I worry about damaging the spray system. I would like to use a liquid to be honest. Not sure what it would do to the pump

6. jc1

They make a small plow with a sprayer so zspray must be comfortable with it.

7. jc1

Z spray snowrator

ETM, kawasaki guy and GrassManKzoo like this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Except he already has the ZMax's.

OP:

You can dial it down enough, but there will be a little overapplication. Not bad though.

Supposedly lime..never had great results. Supposedly Mirimichi stuff, but never used it.

What kind of ice melt are you using?

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

Plowing with a zero turn ?

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

ZMax spreader\sprayer.

20141223_173356.jpg

GrassManKzoo likes this.