Preset pricing for mowing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Benjamin George, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Benjamin George

Benjamin George LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a spread sheet with there predefined prices for mowing? So a sales rep. could sell a mowing service over the phone without going out to the property. I'm working on putting this together for our business and was trying to find more information to do this properly. This is to sell mowing the same as chemical applications are. Everything will be done by sq. ft. with pictures to see the grade and landscape of the yard.

This can be done so please don't post that it can't. Where there's a will there's a way. Ideas to do this better are welcome.

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be done but it probably shouldn't. In sales/service it’s preferred to establish a relationship face to face with the customer. Customer retention relies on customer relationship. You can bid sq ft over the phone if you like but I’d still be meeting with the customer to introduce the manager and the route lead over their property to establish a relationship. So, either way your still going to the property prior to service.

I spent years in uniform sales/service. I will assure you the success of your business relies on the relationship with your customer. Very few exceptions apply. One being lanlords and another being out of state/traveling customers with several properties.

I do not have a spreadsheet but I do have a sq ft price for luxury homes. Actually it’s per 1k sq ft and it runs from $6.50-$8.50 per 1k. I do not use this bidding style for commercials or average residentials.

zlandman likes this.
  3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

To even consider that, I assume you must live somewhere very flat, where all properties are the same size - and no pools, tree rings, or swing sets in back yards.

4. Benjamin George

Actually there is some variety no pools but hilly and lots of plants in yards. But it's all about time. If an average time on a flat yard is 20 min one with plants is going to be 30min. So we figure accordingly.

5. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

If the sales rep for the uniform company sells the account, and you service the account, isn't it your job to create the relationship with the customer? Did any customer get upset that the sales rep wasn't also the ones servicing the account?

I was in the uniform business too, but I can't think of any time where I brought a route rep in to introduce him /her as any part of a sales pitch. My sales reps didn't do that either. As a manager, it was my job, and my route reps, to build a good relationship with the customer.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  6. Benjamin George

"Quote I do not have a spreadsheet but I do have a sq ft price for luxury homes. Actually it’s per 1k sq ft and it runs from $6.50-$8.50 per 1k. I do not use this bidding style for commercials or average residentials."

When you say per k do you mean per 1000 sq ft? Pardon my ignorance but I'm not understanding. Are you charging $850 per 1000 sq ft$

7. Matthews Lawn Care

It wasn’t a sales pitch to introduce the rsr it was for sizing, installing, and introducing the rep to the customer.

Yeah, plenty of customers were initially upset that the sales person wasn’t their service guy. Generally cuz the sales person made promises they couldn’t fulfill on the service side. In the uniform biz, yeah it’s generally the rsr’s responsibility to have a relationship with the acct but the route mgr’s visit the accts monthly to also have a relationship. It’s not just about the relationship of the person servicing the acct. If it was, you’d lose every acct when the rsr quit or took a different position. That’s where redundancy factors in. More than 1 person having a relationship with the acct decision maker gives you a higher % to retain the customer when something negative happens.

8. Matthews Lawn Care

$6.50 per 1,000 sq ft. So a property of 20,000 sq ft would be $130.

9. Benjamin George

Thanks! I know you said for luxury homes, so does that price include anything more than mowing, trimming, and blowing?

10. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

So if your the owner, do you bring your employee with you to make sure he can mow the customers lawn?

My point is, it's up to the business to create the relationship- whether the customer wants the owner there every visit or is perfectly fine being left alone as long as the work was being done. It's up to the business to decide if they will be a good fit for what the customer is looking for.

The biggest downfall I found in the uniform business was the company never said "no, we won't be a good fit". The majority fell on sales reps making false promises or trying to get the contract signed to get a commission. After that, the RSR's and DM's/Managers would handle the rest.

When dealing with sign ups online or over the phone, these are generally people who don't want an interaction with the owner/employees.