1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Pressure Regulator For Blowouts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by White Gardens, Oct 10, 2012.

  1. lawns Etc

    lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,277

    Exactly what AI said. The compressor should have a pressure gauge to read from as you adjust. I keep mine set at 70 psi.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776

    Thanks for all the input guys, I feel a heck of a lot more confident now knowing there is a way to adjust the pressure.

    I did a yahoo search and an old thread from 2010 popped up from lawnsite. Showed a good picture of the bolt and jam nut on a compressor, so at least i have a partial visual as to what I'm looking for.

    Now I need to stop by the rental house and check out the hoses and see how I'm going to hook into the systems. My original plan was to use air quick couplers, either male or female, but my concern is restricting the air flow and thus my CFM's into the systems.

    Should be not big deal though. I've also already scooped out all but one of the systems I'll be blowing out, so I have an idea of what I'm going to need.

  3. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776

  4. lawns Etc

    lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,277

    Usually the installer will put either a spigot with garden hose threads or a plug with 1/2" -3/4" male or female threads to hookup to drain and blowout. You do not need to rent a hose. Use a quality garden hose and get a Crowfoot adapter to hook it to your compressor.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776

    Rental house has the adapter.

    Thanks for the advice on on the on the fittings and hose. From what I've seen though, they are all different. One has a cap with 1.5" threads, One is a 1/4" fitting on a test port after a back-flow, and one is a 1/2" ball valve before the back-flow.

    One has the back-flow 10 feet out-side the building. Manager said the previous company hooked up before inside. I'm sketchy about that though considering I don't want to do damage to the back-flow preventer. What I might do is blow through the backflow really quick to evacuate that section, then move my fitting out past the backflow in order to not push all my air through it during the blow-out.

  6. lawns Etc

    lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,277

    We blow through them all the time. No worries
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. greenmonster304

    greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,679

    I keep bushings from 2"-1/2" all screwed together with a 3/4 pipe thread to hose thread adapter. So I just pick the size I need.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. 1idejim

    1idejim LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,317

    Crowfoot are AKA Chicago fittings
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. cjohn2000

    cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 570

    Half the systems we blow out, we blow through the #4 testcock and on some weve cut in and put a riser with a cap after the backflow. As far as the backflow after we winterize the sprinklers we shut off #2 isolation valve on the backflow open all the testcock's and puff air in short bursts through the #1 test **** to prevent freezing. Not saying its correct, just the way im told to do it.:waving:
  10. Mdirrigation

    Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,753

    put a 85 psi spring loaded blow off valve , the discharge air will never pass that pressure .

Share This Page