Pressure washer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by GTX LAWN, Mar 26, 2019.

1. GTX LAWN

GTX LAWN LawnSite Member

Good afternoon all, had a question regarding a Ryobi pressure washer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Initially it had gas sitting for over a year, drained the fuel, cleaned the fuel filter attached to the tank, removed the carburetor and cleaned it. Tank is clean.

Would stay running for about a 10 seconds and shut off. Sprayed carburetor cleaner breifly into the intake and it would stay running for about 20 seconds until the pressure from the pump kicked in.

Assuming it was the carburetor, I bought 2 new ones. Same problem. I’ve replaced the pressure valve already, bypassed the low oil sensor, replaced the spark plug.

I’m mechanically inclined, but this thing is throwing me for a loop. Next step is to replace the coil, however it runs much better when I spray carburetor cleaner into the intake. It’s acting like a fuel problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a sticking intake valve.

DXN1EL and Walker56 like this.
  3. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a generator that does that. My problem is the fuel shutoff valve is difficult to keep clean. Check fuel delivery to carb. Might be restricted.

4. OP
    OP
    GTX LAWN

GTX LAWN LawnSite Member

The carburetor that’s on the unit has a fuel shut off attached to it, I’ve replaced that, removed the valve cover, intake and exhaust valves are working properly, and are properly adjusted. Ordered a new coil, kill switch, oil sender. I will let y’all know what happens after I replace those. I’ve cleaned the fly wheel, not using sand paper.

hort101 likes this.
  5. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

With all the parts, time and money you have/will put into this, you could have bought a honda knock off and be running....

6. OP
    OP
    GTX LAWN

GTX LAWN LawnSite Member

Haha, yes! However, I’m not one to give up, it’s a matter of pride at this moment. The satisfaction and experience of repairing this engine supersedes the money. Thank you for your reply though

zlandman, Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Why ?

Walker56 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    GTX LAWN

GTX LAWN LawnSite Member

Why? I was looking for beneficial information, and have received only one positive insight regarding the motor (possible sticking intake valve) which I checked (thank you for that information) So.... I ordered everything that I know that could possibly go wrong with a small engine.

9. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Do what wildflower said, is the fuel line restricted? Don't clean the fuel filter, replace, there maybe a filter at the bottom of the tank too. Also is the cap on tank breathable?

10. OP
    OP
    GTX LAWN

GTX LAWN LawnSite Member

Thank you, the fuel is not restricted, it only has a strainer attached to the bottom of the fuel tank which is clean, I pulled and verified that, and cleaned, even though it didn’t need it. It’s gravity fed, and flows as it should.