Pressure Washing

LawnMowerMan2003

LawnSite Senior Member
I was not sure which forum this goes in, but I am thinking of adding pressure washing to my lists of services, since I still need a lot more lawn care customers. I am considering pressure washing as one of these services, since I can do it all year round. I am looking at services to do over the winter.

I've done a little research, and I am a little concerned about a cheaper pressure washer doing the job, since I read that it should be at least 4 gallons per minute, and preferably hot water, even for concrete. I could still probably start washing driveways with a cheaper one, but when I looked at pressure washers that have 4 gallon per minute, I didn't see anything under about $900. I'm going to have a hard time saving up that much before winter. lol

Anyway, I was just curious to hear from those that pressure wash if starting with driveways would be OK, and how I should determine price. I tried to research the pricing a little (I know it varies by location) and I did read that pricing can be over 100 an hour, but I don't know what kind of equipment you would need to make that, or how much you could make starting with basic gas pressure washer.

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
we have a commercial pressure washer, with a commercial 6 hp Honda engine. And some commercial pump. Paid $1200.00 Great for blowing mud off of driveways. The stuff at Home Depot is junk, been there done that.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt

LawnSite Silver Member
I was not sure which forum this goes in, but I am thinking of adding pressure washing to my lists of services, since I still need a lot more lawn care customers. I am considering pressure washing as one of these services, since I can do it all year round. I am looking at services to do over the winter.

I've done a little research, and I am a little concerned about a cheaper pressure washer doing the job, since I read that it should be at least 4 gallons per minute, and preferably hot water, even for concrete. I could still probably start washing driveways with a cheaper one, but when I looked at pressure washers that have 4 gallon per minute, I didn't see anything under about $900. I'm going to have a hard time saving up that much before winter. lol

Anyway, I was just curious to hear from those that pressure wash if starting with driveways would be OK, and how I should determine price. I tried to research the pricing a little (I know it varies by location) and I did read that pricing can be over 100 an hour, but I don't know what kind of equipment you would need to make that, or how much you could make starting with basic gas pressure washer.

Before you dive into this service you should check your local ordinances as well. I know that in some counties here in CA you are supposed to catch and collect any water used to pressure wash concrete. The idea is that they don't want whatever you are washing off of the concrete top end up in the storm drains. Of course due to the drought they just essentially banned all washing of concrete surfaces. Might be worth looking into any regulations that could come back and kick you in the ass later.

Barnabas

LawnSite Member
Better off getting a professional setup with a surge tank if your going to be looking at 4.0 gph... not all houses will have the water supply to keep up with that.

Look for a local pressure washer supplier and see if maybe they are selling used equipment and could show you what you actually need.

Tips/heads/correct detergents will go allot further then GPM and max pressure.

OP
LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks. We have water restrictions in my area most of the time in the summer, so I guess I need to make sure I can do it legally. I tried adding it to my services once, when my friend offered to help me with his electric pressure washer. I only did one job with that thing! lol It cleaned the driveway pretty nice, but it took forever, and actually it wasn't just the we had an electric pressure washer; the driveway sloped down toward the house, so we had to squeegee a bunch of water off of it.

Top Forums