1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pretty cheap theses days

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLservice, Mar 1, 2011.

1. CLservice

CLservice LawnSite Member
    from MI

Picture below

I had bided on this property mowing and trimming
    Property lines road to road, road to field
    A big ditch at the top
    Gas price going up

What would your bid be?

It ended up going for $65 a cut. wow

6.jpg

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Did you get it? Sounds cheap to me.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Don't know the actual size of the property. I'm guessing 2+ acres? If there is no edging, or something not apparent in the photo, $65 might not be all that unreasonable for just mowing and trimming.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i agree. Looks like an hour or less for mowing there. But its hard tell by that pic.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can't tell how big it is by looking at your picture. There's a road right down the middle of the picture. Can you outline the target area or get a picture that only shows the target area? How many square feet is it?

6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

from his description its from the edge of the field to the road.

7. CLservice

CLservice LawnSite Member
    from MI

From top to bottom it’s about 776feet, from side to side it’s 437feet. 14 trees to trim around and a curb on the left side along the road side stretches from road to road.

8. gdguth

gdguth LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

If my math is correct that is like 7 to 8 acres. That is very cheap, but only half looks like it is mowed. Either way, probably to cheap.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

7.78 acres. Even if you only cut half of that the price is way low for me. It's probably 4 acres and the cheapest guys around here get $25 an acre.

10. RECESSION PROOF MOWING

RECESSION PROOF MOWING LawnSite Senior Member

$65/CUT...you can make a little on it. Hope you can bundle it with other surrounding properties some way to make it worthwhile or others in the vicinity will come calling. You figure a 72" can take down 4 ac in about an hour's time easy while trimmer guy I use cam knock down that trimming in same time frame. Doesn't look like owner is too particular about quality so you go as fast as humanly possible. $10 hard expense tops plus $10 labor...nobody's getting rich but they can fill the truck's tank for a couple days. Lowballing at it's very tightest, leanest...thanks for that example. People on this board need to see specifics. Good job providing the map...I'm putting up a video pretty soon of a cemetery job that will knock your socks off what that bid came to. I'm personally going to take you on a lowball tour as the guest host. It'll make this lowball effort seem like 1990's pricing!