1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Price for new lawn installation.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LHlandscaping, Mar 4, 2004.

1. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I am wondering how you price a lawn installation for a 4400 squre foot lot. I will need to also bring in about 20 tons of topsoil by a tri-axle. I want to sow a fescue/ bluegrass mix for this sunny area. Any comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Take a soil test first, to determine what the soil needs(nutrients)? Pennstate mix is your best bet for seed,bluegrass,perrenial rye and fescue. Use a good starter fert. If the exsisting soil isnt bad I have found incorparating compost with the soil is a better option. Its finer, lighter and easier to work with. also if you plan on doing this in the next month or so be prepared for weeds to grow at a high rate. weeds are very active in the spring and needs to be controlled before seeding. I would recommend spraying the soil surface with a non selective herbicide to kill weed seeds.