• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Price for Thatching

globil

LawnSite Member
I'm trying to determine what I should charge for thatching, cleanup, & hauling. Calculating my expenses for equipment,( truck, trailer, thatcher, mower ), labor, & profit I come up with $72.00 / Hr or $52.00/ 1000 S.F. How does this look to you guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

ozark

LawnSite Member
I have noticed that very few people in my area actually want dethatching, or maybe cant afford it. A couple lco's this year have purchased big dethatchers and one of them wants to sell his already. I know that here we just charge like a normal mowing if you have a bagger on the mower. If you have to make two different trips around the yard you almost have to charge them a double mowing to cover time expenses. Hopefully you have a market up there for this kind of service. I wish we did because it is very easy to do.

Grandview

LawnSite Gold Member
Ozark, What kind of thatchers are talking about. I would like to get one that hooks to a three point and runs on a pto.

MJM landscaping

LawnSite Member
They are DE thatchers. Used to take the thatch out of the yard. Funniest thing is when someone calls and says can you thatch my yard. I tell them yes but you will probably not like the outcome. You take the thatch away not add to it.

I have a JRCO rake on my Z and a walker dethatcher on the navigator and charge double the price of mowing plus disposal. I also think it is the easiest service to sell.