1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Price Guide?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by qualitylawnmanagement, Nov 29, 2006.

1. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I am expanding my landscape division more next year, So I need some help. I am looking for how to measure for mulch jobs I put it down anywhere from 2in to 3in deep. Also I charge $60 a yard and I pay $32 bucks per yard. Am I charging enough? My guys can lay 5 to 6 yards a hr. I pay my guys $8 an hr and usually have 2 to 3 guys on a job. And for sod jobs, how much are you charging per sqft for tearing up sod and laying the sod down for? So here is what I am looking for here:

1. How to measure for mulch in Sqft?

2. Am I charing enough per yard to cover my butt and make a profit?

3. How much to charge per sqft to tear up sod?

4. How much to charge per sqft to lay the sod down?

Thanks mike!

2. Matt k

Matt k LawnSite Member

1. Mulch estimate: Square feet divided by 135 will give you approx. yards at 2-3" in depth.

2. You are charging $60 a yard just for mulch? That is great if that is what is worth in your market. I get $27 a yard and my cost is $22 a yard. I am not in the business of selling mulch, I sell time.

3. Hand work? Machine work? Access to location? Dumping location/fees? What type of soil are you working in? How much window time? How big of an area? Alot of variables to this to consider to even guess at a figure.

4. See #3

3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea, the mulch prices around here are very high for putting it in. I will be using a sod cutter to cut it with. On some jobs it be done by hand as of putting in a dump trailer or I have access to a bobcat for larger jobs.

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Without knowing your overhead it looks like you should be charging closer to $70 per yard of mulch.

We charge around $0.30 per sq ft to remove and dispose of sod.
    About $3 per yard to install sod (assuming there is no grading needed)