• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Price increase

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
I've got a few lawns I started out brand new with last year in my inaugural year. Everyone of my clients currently except for one is a personal friend I've known for years, if it matters to the discussion. The ones I need to increase my price are bi weekly's. My first year, I took anything within reason, but didn't get too beat up. My only $35 mow is a postage stamp that I use a beat up 21" on or just weed eat it. Its 90% weeds. Another is one that takes me on a drought month about 45 minutes. But during spring, and this summer, it takes 75 minutes due to it being stupid tall. So I'm planning on doing a price increase for a few next season. My main question is how do you inform your clients about any price increases? Snail mail letter with explanation or email? I need to correct the bi weekly priced the same as a weekly cut problem. Every week I cut this one lawn it needs to be an overgrown lawn charge. We only had 4 weeks of dry brown grass in my area. Enough rain since middle of July, and grass is growing faster than in may. So I'm over being pissed about eating it and need to correct it. And if the drop me it won't hurt my feelings any. But it's my niece.

My strategy is price increase for biweekly on this $45 up to 65, and weekly cut for $50. I should have a new or used Scag tiger cat by next season, so my seat time will improve over my current Hustler Raptor.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Senior Member
Raising your price $20 on a $45 cut will probably lead to a lost account and if its family... I think the way to go is raise it to $50 and inform the customer their yard is not a good fit for EOW mowing and you will need to mow every week next year. You still might lose the customer but you don't end up looking like someone that raised their prices too much.

kemco

LawnSite Gold Member
We now inform via email and text. Used to be snail mail. But I take a look at each lawn now. I did used to do across the board $2 every few years. But then realized some needs to be way more or just were not worth our time (fit our biz model), and some were actually priced right and didn't really need a price increase. I look at time (man hours) on each lawn and see from there if there is a need to increase prices.

OP
Y

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
Raising your price $20 on a $45 cut will probably lead to a lost account and if its family... I think the way to go is raise it to $50 and inform the customer their yard is not a good fit for EOW mowing and you will need to mow every week next year. You still might lose the customer but you don't end up looking like someone that raised their prices too much.
They would still save money at $130/month vs 200/month on a $65 bi weekly.

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Senior Member
I'm in the same situation with some $45 EOW cuts. They are easy cuts but $90 a month just isn't enough income per month per customer. $130 is better but I don't think they are going to pay the $20 extra per mow. Moving forward I need all new customers generating closer to $200 a month.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
I've got a few lawns I started out brand new with last year in my inaugural year. Everyone of my clients currently except for one is a personal friend I've known for years, if it matters to the discussion. The ones I need to increase my price are bi weekly's. My first year, I took anything within reason, but didn't get too beat up. My only $35 mow is a postage stamp that I use a beat up 21" on or just weed eat it. Its 90% weeds. Another is one that takes me on a drought month about 45 minutes. But during spring, and this summer, it takes 75 minutes due to it being stupid tall. So I'm planning on doing a price increase for a few next season. My main question is how do you inform your clients about any price increases? Snail mail letter with explanation or email? I need to correct the bi weekly priced the same as a weekly cut problem. Every week I cut this one lawn it needs to be an overgrown lawn charge. We only had 4 weeks of dry brown grass in my area. Enough rain since middle of July, and grass is growing faster than in may. So I'm over being pissed about eating it and need to correct it. And if the drop me it won't hurt my feelings any. But it's my niece.

My strategy is price increase for biweekly on this $45 up to 65, and weekly cut for $50. I should have a new or used Scag tiger cat by next season, so my seat time will improve over my current Hustler Raptor.
How big are the yards? It’s an interesting concept to raise the biweekly when u could drop it to 38 and mow it weekly. Under 40 and they probably bite. Even 35 would net you much more income. As stated below. And u would be able to keep them maintained better.. eow with lots of rain sucks. We haven’t raised prices in a long time but I can understand if ur new how tempting it may be. I never raised anyone’s price after my first year. It was always after my second year. I don’t cut for any family or friends. I refuse to do that personally because it’s just bad for business especially in this situation. But maybe like u said a bigger better mower will make these yards worth your time. I run a 60 ztr on every property it will fit. 2 lines. Or 20 lines. And when I upgraded from a 52 walk behind it def made the time worth it. Sometimes I’m like.. 35 dollars for 10 mins.. sweet! I guess you have to think about any backlash. Maybe they only hired you because they know you and if they didn’t they would mow their own lawn. When we raise prices we just send an update on the bill the next year. Usually tell them in early spring. Haven’t had anyone object to price increases. Maybe because they are minimal and we’ve been mowing most of our same clients for an average of 8 or 9 years... good luck with the price increase. And agreed 20 dollars on a biweekly isn’t going to go over well.

OP
Y

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
Well my niece probably saved me the headache since I'm not going to cut her yard anymore. As a newly college graduates young person, she feels looting and rioting is ok. She said how is stealing a stereo from WM a big deal. When I asked how many walmarts got looted and burned compared to inner city black owned businesses, she called me a racist. But she and her friends think it's fun and games to dox people they dont like and stuff like that.

Sorry to derail. :l

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Well my niece probably saved me the headache since I'm not going to cut her yard anymore. As a newly college graduates young person, she feels looting and rioting is ok. She said how is stealing a stereo from WM a big deal. When I asked how many walmarts got looted and burned compared to inner city black owned businesses, she called me a racist. But she and her friends think it's fun and games to dox people they dont like and stuff like that.

Sorry to derail. :l
Family is a tough gig to mow for.. because it’s so personal. They can tell you things or say things to you ur regular clients probably wouldn’t. But keep at it.. and try to reach outside those lawns..

OP
Y

Youngandfree

LawnSite Senior Member
How big are the yards? It’s an interesting concept to raise the biweekly when u could drop it to 38 and mow it weekly. Under 40 and they probably bite. Even 35 would net you much more income. As stated below. And u would be able to keep them maintained better.. eow with lots of rain sucks. We haven’t raised prices in a long time but I can understand if ur new how tempting it may be. I never raised anyone’s price after my first year. It was always after my second year. I don’t cut for any family or friends. I refuse to do that personally because it’s just bad for business especially in this situation. But maybe like u said a bigger better mower will make these yards worth your time. I run a 60 ztr on every property it will fit. 2 lines. Or 20 lines. And when I upgraded from a 52 walk behind it def made the time worth it. Sometimes I’m like.. 35 dollars for 10 mins.. sweet! I guess you have to think about any backlash. Maybe they only hired you because they know you and if they didn’t they would mow their own lawn. When we raise prices we just send an update on the bill the next year. Usually tell them in early spring. Haven’t had anyone object to price increases. Maybe because they are minimal and we’ve been mowing most of our same clients for an average of 8 or 9 years... good luck with the price increase. And agreed 20 dollars on a biweekly isn’t going to go over well.
It's still a 50 minute job currently even in best of conditions. And they definitely aren't mowing. They called me when they insisted their old company mow a swamp area. They sit over a spring. They insisted to the point that the company brought a ventrac and got it stuck and still charged them $100.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
It's still a 50 minute job currently even in best of conditions. And they definitely aren't mowing. They called me when they insisted their old company mow a swamp area. They sit over a spring. They insisted to the point that the company brought a ventrac and got it stuck and still charged them $100.
Ugh! I mow a yard over a spring too.. it’s the worst! I have a client who’s yard takes 2 guys 25 mins and one guy about 45 and I charge them 75.. so ur def on the low end for some of these jobs. This lawn is manicured to the waszzooo.. it’s always a weird conversation! Good luck and make it worth ur time!