1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

price of plant installs

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Dix, May 21, 2002.

1. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

I was wondering if there is a figure you try to keep materials costs below on an install. For $1000.00 buggeted, how much of it would you figure for materials? I was thinking up to 20 percent. What do you think. Were talking relitively small jobs.
    Dix

2. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Ball-park, I suppose that's ok. Really need to understand the costs for the install, labor, equipment, overhead, nursery run time (pick-up and selection), truck time, etc. All figure into the price. Making a 2 hour trip to the nursery (with travel times) for $200 in plants costs more per plant than a 2 and 1/2 hour trip for $1500 in plants. All things to consider.

We do lots of small jobs and about 20-25% for plants seems about right, but I have never used that ratio as a formula.

Hope others will respond and enlighten us with their ratios.

3. prairie

prairie LawnSite Member
    from kansas

There are sooo many different varibles to this you can't just go by how much the plants cost

4. Dix

Dix LawnSite Member

Thanks, Planter
    I used to work in an auto repair shop doing the books. They wanted to keep parts causts at no more than 20 percent of a bill. I figured a plant is like an auto part in that respect. Also, planting it is like haveing the part put on your car. Someone must have figured this was a necessary ratio to survive in the auto repair business, so I was thinking it might apply here.

To the rest of you, I know many vairables are involved, but a little advise from someone who has been there shure beets the hell out of winging it!
    Dix