• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Price on 12 acres

superintendent

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok. I'm bidding on a commercial mowing job. It has 12 acres. It's a new place it just opened last Oct. They called me last oct to mow it for the rest of the yr. It was all sodded with fescue in Sep and never mowed till middle of oct. Anyway I mowed it 4 times for $800 each time. This included mowing,weeding,blowing off main drive and all of the parking spaces and edging curbs. All together it took 15 hrs. They love what I have done but for the company they have to post it this yr to let the public have a chance. My question is. I saw where some of yall say that you mow around $40 an acres so at that price that will equal to $480 for mowing. Now does that include the weedeating,blowing and edging? If not is $800 good or to high. Now for yall that mulch. How do you price that. Do just double the price of materials? What about pruning how do you price that. Thanks, this is a BIG contract and I want it. All the help I can get. Thanks

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
too hard to tell with out a layout of the job, but in general, we are averaging about 50 bucks an acre, but if this has lots of trimming, then obviously it would be higher.

howierd3866

LawnSite Senior Member
good luck you already one up on everyone else you mowed it 4 times already. So you should have a feel for what you should able to charge for this and how long it takes then the next guy bidding on it.

MOturkey

LawnSite Silver Member
good luck you already one up on everyone else you mowed it 4 times already. So you should have a feel for what you should able to charge for this and how long it takes then the next guy bidding on it.
I agree, bid the mowing portion based on your expenses and the actual cost of mowing the property. The rest I can't help you with, as I am a mowing only business, but I'm sure others can. You know what it will cost to mow, and what your profit margin needs to be. Don't bid too low simply to get the contract, as you will simply be shooting yourself in the foot. Good luck.

360ci

LawnSite Bronze Member
If I had the proper machine I'd charge $60/acre (Canada prices are higher for everything). $50 is still reasonable. If you've already charged $800 for the 12 acres that's a good price on your end. if there were a lot of small trees involved, I'd add on more for labour. Generally, it works out to $1/min for time worked.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
he said it took about 15hrs to mow. at $30 per man hour, i think he said two guys, the rate he is charging is right on for good business. i am sure he will get beat though on pricing. when it comes to large jobs, some guys just dont know how to bid, and they lowball it i think sometimes unintentionally and then later find out they are not making any money, or at least they should be able to see those kind of things, some are just too stupid to understand those concepts!

DKJLawnCare

LawnSite Member
I think a fair price would be determined with the degree of difficulty. Does it have a lot of trees? Trimming? etc?

If you are charging between $20 - $30 per man hour your price should be around $600 - $900 Your hitting at $800 per cut right now. So your making roughly $26 per man per hour.

Figure your price on what you need not only to sustain that business but what you need to make to profit on that business. Don't forget your taxes.

If you need to pull $20 per man per hour you are making $200 more per cut than you need too. But don't forget your tax. In KY I believe that is around 6-7%. That will bring your total down to about $745 per cut. What do you need to be profitable. Don't forget maintenance on your equipment and fuel prices.

Good luck to you my friend north of the border

olcllc

LawnSite Member
Ok. I'm bidding on a commercial mowing job. It has 12 acres. It's a new place it just opened last Oct. They called me last oct to mow it for the rest of the yr. It was all sodded with fescue in Sep and never mowed till middle of oct. Anyway I mowed it 4 times for $800 each time. This included mowing,weeding,blowing off main drive and all of the parking spaces and edging curbs. All together it took 15 hrs. They love what I have done but for the company they have to post it this yr to let the public have a chance. My question is. I saw where some of yall say that you mow around $40 an acres so at that price that will equal to $480 for mowing. Now does that include the weedeating,blowing and edging? If not is $800 good or to high. Now for yall that mulch. How do you price that. Do just double the price of materials? What about pruning how do you price that. Thanks, this is a BIG contract and I want it. All the help I can get. Thanks
If you can, provide the address of the location so we may google it and look at it from the satellite view, I can give you a close estimate that way. I currently mow a ten acre property for far less than that but i don't know the details of your location, man power, equipment, etc...

The ten acre property takes us 2.5 hours from start to finish. Two men, two 60" mowers, 30 minutes worth of trimming. It's open, flat, not too difficult, I'm able to use herbicide around the facility and fencing so that really cuts down on trimming. $55 per hour, per man. $275.00 total.