1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Price per amount of education

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kcameron, May 22, 2002.

1. kcameron

kcameron LawnSite Member

I have a question that I don't know how it will develop....This is my 2nd yr of doing this part time, althought I can't really count this year b/c of my activation and deployments, but I continue to do what I can and read what I can. My question centers around this.... Does the amount that most people charge equal the amount of education that they have? Meaning, I am realy good at the lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, etc.) of the buisness, but when it comes to the overseeding, soil sample reading for fert. and various "once in a while things" that I don't do too often, I find myself thinking "Well, I don't have that much experience in this, so I don't think I should charge as much as one who does". Any of this making any sense??? I price what I can to make a profit, and I try not to loose any money, but like I said, I am new at some of this. I know I have to start somewhere and I read and study all that I can when I can. Thanks for the advice and inputs. Kevin Cameron

2. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

the way I do things is...
    if I don't know how to do it right and well I don't do it at all.

I'm going to Purdue University in the fall to major in Landscape Horticulture and Design and I hope that I don't waste my time in there. I plan on having enough knowledge when I leave to run a LARGE full scale grounds instilation and management company or preferable own one. If you know that you don't have a clue how to do something, don't do it.

3. I think as a general rule the more you do something the more you charge for it.
    With experience you learn exactly what is involved in doing something plus you have a better feel of the true value of that service, including how much people are willing to pay for it.
    One thing to keep in mind while starting out-you may have warranty issues that need to be allowed for, don't forget to add for that in your pricing.