Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a call today that went like this:
me: Hello, xyz lawn service

dumblady: Do you cut Grass?

me: yes

dumblady: How much do you charge?

me: I don't give prices over the phone but I'd be happy to come and look at the prop. and then give you a price.

dumblady: How come you don't give your price now?

me: There are too many variables.

dumblady: OK, we were just price shopping.

me: Have a nice day :angry:.....click

She made it sound like she had called a few other LCO's and they gave her a price over the phone? Does anyone really do this?

·
Registered
647 Posts
NO!!!

Trust me I found out the hard way. He told me about his property and I was like $__ amount, come to find out much larger and I should have charged double. Dropped him after 2 cuts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I will do it in subdivisions that I have current customers.......that I know the slope of ALL the lawns, and that ALL are the same size lots.

I always add $5 to the normal price in this situation in case it has excess trimming.

I tell them the price for the 1st cut, but I may charge more or less after the 1st cut....---(we'll discuss it after the 1st cut if a change is needed)...----to date, I've never charged less.......lol

Can't make any money without getting your foot in the door.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
alot of big companies here do this. they mass advertise, and don't have time to do estimates. they give mowing prices and fert program prices on the phone without even knowing the sq footage

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
splatz100 said:
NO!!!

Trust me I found out the hard way. He told me about his property and I was like $__ amount, come to find out much larger and I should have charged double. Dropped him after 2 cuts.
Oh, when they get cute like that, I don't do the work if I can see they were not being completely truthful once I get there. SOMETIMES it is ok with an over-the-phone price so long they understand it's only a ballpark figure but your chances of getting the job are much slimmer, I would say.
If I think they're being honest, I do the best I can, it works at times.
Also from time to time I get someone that simply will NOT accept anything except a price on the phone... dunno what it is, but they HAVE to have it, so I let them have it, lol - I either give them a really wide range (like for grass-cutting I tell them I cut some for as little as 20 and some as high as 60) OR when I'm in the mood I give them a dirt-cheap price knowing I won't be doing the work.
Well I gotta get'm off the phone and sometimes they won't let me unless I give them the stupid price, so...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have no problem giving an "estimate" over the phone ..... it's just an estimate .... cuts down on the tire kickers ..... I just need to know the general subdivision .... area n it's no issue to give a "basic" cut price on the phone ....

Out on a regular today ....doing a quick irrigation check .... easy yard .20 acre ..... wide open .... neighbor comes up n ask how much fore his .... it's like 3 houses down ..... just up n look at it n say $30 per cut which is $105 per month ..... year round ..... easy 40 min per cut in summer n like 25 in winter .... no issues start him next Tues .... at best 25 hours per year fore a good $1260 per year

I may have "violated" the "$1 per minute" rule but with 290 of em in a 6 mile radius ..... I sleep OK most of the time

·
Registered
237 Posts
NEVER EVER EVER DO I GIVE PHONE QUOTES. I DO ALL ESTIMATES IN PERSON OR NOT AT ALL. THAT WAY I CAN WEED OUT THE NUTS AND THE PITAS BEFORE I SIGN EM UP. I DO NOTHING WITHOUT A CONTRACT. NO IN PERSON ESTIMATE, THEN NO SERVICE OR EVEN A QUOTE. IF I WANT EM I USUALLY GET EM AND MAKE GOOD BUCKS IF I DONT I BID WAY HIGH TO PAY FOR THE AGGRAVATION I KNOW IS COMING. DIGITAL PICTURES AND THOROUGH NOTES ARE TAKEN AND I MAKE NO SECRET TO THE CUSTOMER OF THE DETAIL IN WHICH I TRACK THINGS. SO WHEN THE BILLS GO OUT THERE AINT ANY EXCUSE NOT TO PAY. payup

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Sometimes I Go To Different Country Clubs And Nicer Communities And Ride Around With A Handfull Of Bid Sheets.i Drive House To House Look Over The Yard Write An Estimate On The Bid Sheet And Leave It On The Door.i Also Notate On A Journal Where I Am And The Average Price.so When They Call I Can Say I Have An Average In That Area Of $$$$$.00 .then I Tell Them I Have To Come Back To Give A Specific Amount Afterall It Is Only An estimate

·
Registered
155 Posts
NEVER, EVER QUOTE OVER THE PHONE! AHHHHHH!!!!

Someone who wants you to quote over the phone and is persistent is a client you will probably not get, or want. You're gonna have to show up at the property anyway, just wait till you get there to quote. Also, homeowners usually never know their own yard dimensions, and/or lie about them.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I always give the price over the phone. I am accurate about 98% of the time. On the few that are not accurate, we either change the price or drop them. It is that simple.

I don't have time to be running all over town giving out hundreds of estimates.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Giving prices over the phone is totally a joke. There are many things that they could not tell you and then they would expect you to mow it for the price that you gave them over the phone ever though you never said exactly what it would cost. These kind of people dive me over the edge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.