1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Price to plant canadian hemlocks that customer buys?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mrusk, Jun 19, 2005.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I know a guy who wants to plant 35 (6-8 feet tall)' canadian hemlocks on this property line 5 feet a part. He said he wanted to go buy them himself and just hire me to plant them. Normally i would tell them i want to buy them myself, but if i do not have to worry about locating 35 of these trees and getting them deliveried i am better off. Also, since i am not buying these trees i will not have to warranty them. What would you guys price this job at. I am going to have to rent a machine for this. I am going to rent a john deere 110 BL for this job. I know the digging will be tough also. I was figuring around $1500. Am i close to where i should be? I do mostly pavers and walls and hardly ever plant trees so i am not sure where i should be at.

How close would you recommend planting the hemlocks apart? The homeowner mentioned to me that he did research and came up with 5 feet.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I almost never do planting alone.

Lets assume you need to make $50 proffit per tree and the trees retail at $200 ea. That means you pay $150ish, add planting labor and proffit and submit bid.
    If the customer buys the trees, he is going to pay the same $ per tree that you would charge him, but the supplier gets your share of the markup. The $50 per tree you would have made, now needs to be put on top of the normal planting cost, which makes you bid high.

I will never let a customer take my markup away unless they spend alot with us or it is high volume. That why I usually don't get those jobs.