Priceing by the linear foot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnboyil, Mar 6, 2003.

  1. lawnboyil

    lawnboyil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 116

    i just picked up a bid packet from the city and it said to keep designated areas weed free. (parking lots, planting bed, curbs) Now my question is how do i figre priceing on the linear foot ?

    thanks alex
  2. 1stclasslawns

    1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 565

    lienier footage is NOT what you are looking for you are looking for SQUARE FOOTAGE.

    A lienier foot is how ever long somthing is no matter how wide. A 100 foot long walk is 100 foor no matter if it is 3 foot or 9 foot wide. You can price edging by the lienier foot because you are only edging beside the walks.

    For applications you need the square footage which is legnth X width. The same walk at 3 foot wide is 100 (legnth) X 3 (width)
    300 square foot the 9 foot wide one the same way is 900 foot but to edge 1 side of either is still 100 lienier feet.

    Measure the legnth and width and there ya go!

  3. GreenWorks Inc.

    GreenWorks Inc. LawnSite Member
    Messages: 9

    you have to figure out how long it will take and how much herbicide you will use. It would be hard to figure out by the square foot when you are spraying cracks of walkways etc.
    Go spray an area and see how much water you use. Also make sure you are licensed to apply herbicides and this means even Roundup. John
  4. lawnboyil

    lawnboyil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 116

    i alreday have my right-of-way and ornmental spray licence. i know how to five the flower beds. but i am just sparying cracks in a lot of area so i still figure it at sq ft or linear foot. the other thing is i am suppose to pay prevailing wage on the contract
  5. Figure width of spray x distance= sq ft. Past experince in treating cracks, I didn't get as good of kill as normal, and it seems to take longer. Also consider a pre emerge with spray mixture.
  6. lawnboyil

    lawnboyil LawnSite Member
    Messages: 116

    i plan on putting eiter sahara or roundup pro or just some nasty non-slective herbicide down on the crack and in the beds i was going to use i bleve barrier or barricade i cant remember
    unless you guys have any better ideas
  7. What is sahara? What is barrier?
    Roundup pro will work. Barricade mostly controls grassy weeds and some (few) broadleaf. Not 12 month control! How about roundup pro tank mix with surflan? Or spot spray weeds, and apply surflan to all areas.
  8. kickin sum grass

    kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 628

    be careful with sahara. It is a soil serilant (spelling?) and if it rains and washes down into a turf area it will kill anything in its path and then you will have to excavate and replace soil to get anything to grow. I don't have a label in front of me but I do know it has a lot of restrictions on where it can and can not be used. I would recommend round-up pro mixed with a pre like barricade. that works well but will need retreated before sahara would ever need to be. I am not sure about cost but I would say the round up mix would compare to sahara even when needing to reapply.
  9. Price per a gallon.

    Good luck on figuring any other formula.
  10. Casey

    Casey LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    I have a question how do you spray a parking lot? Do you go with a very narrow pattern so you don't have too much product end up on the hard surface only to run off if it rains, or is this even an issue. I thought about using one of those roller type of applicators, you can buy them with 4" wide roller and then just walk the cracks.

Share This Page