1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Prices on used mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BISHOP, Dec 14, 2001.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I contacted a few landscapers recently, They had some used mowers for sale and I need a Pros opinion on the prices they gave me.

48" Scag w/ 14 kaw (2 years old) comes with a velky & metal catcher - belt driven & in good cond. (transmission slipped & needs rekeyed)

He wants $1,200.00

48" Encore - hydro - (5 years old) - 12 1/2 kaw
    comes with metal catcher

he wants $1,500.00

48" Encore - belt driven - 17 kaw. good condition 1.5 years old
    with a velky & catcher

He wants $1,700.00

All of these were used heavily but I need a another mower, are these prices good for used equipment.

Thanks

Bishop of CCL:alien:

2. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

Those are all average prices for a used walk-behind. Just use common sense when checking them out....... maint. records, overall condition, and such. I'd stay away from any abused looking stuff. Ridden hard and put up wet isn't a deal any way you look at it. If this purchase is to be an up-grade from your other mower and now will become your primary mower, you might consider new.

(P.S. If the transmission & jackshafts are sloppy, I'd pass on it.):eek:

3. Some new belt drive 48" mower are only $2000.

If the trannies bad on the scag you are looking at $200.

They sound like they are good deals, but new mowers and financing are not far out of your reach.

There is usually a reason they are being sold, I for one get rid of problem mowers as fast as I can.

Good Luck LGF