pricing flower bed job

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by curbow29, Aug 5, 2019.

1. curbow29

curbow29 LawnSite Member

quoting my first flower bed job of the season. have been so busy with mowing and sod install that I haven't had time. growing my company so I want to offer all services.
    customer has all supplies (mulch and weed barrier)
    job would be: pull weeds, haul off all old mulch and weeds, lay down new weed barrier, lay down new mulch.
    what would you guys charge? I'm competing with a few companies and I'm wanting to profit money but also beat the competition. this job is going to be done to promote bed cleaning for future jobs

beds1.jpg

beds2.jpg

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

If it's just those two beds and all your supplying is labor a couple hours times your hourly rate should work just fine. Usually when the client is supplying the supplies is a red flag for cheapness.

LawnNomad and KUMA01 like this.
  3. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Bronze Member

Weed barrier fabric is the biggest waste of time and a pita not worth putting that down
    I bill hourly on those small beds.

4. MattCurbAppeal

MattCurbAppeal LawnSite Member

Personally, I don't pull weeds. I have trimmers and poison for that, and it is hard to guess how many hours it will take. However, judging by the size of that flower bed I would charge for 3 hours of work by myself.

5. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

I always put fown barrier only if asked to. I do not see the point in it at all....most folks do not want to spray to kill weeds around here.

Do you just throw down mulch or do you pre-treat?

6. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Weed barrier under mulch = :nono:

Waste of time, waste of $ and screams busch league.

Forget the weed barrier, trim and spray any/all unwanted growth and install fresh mulch. 1-2 hrs labor + debris removal charge. Easy peasy.

100% of the time when I reno a flower bed, I end up removing the old weed barrier in a zillion pieces. Keep that in mind for your bid.

Sell them a flower bed maintenance package while your at it.

7. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

I trim and pull weeds whenever I get a mulch job to do... I do not use chemicals, so would hiring someone to do it be worth it?

8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I dunno, I’ve never subbed anything out. I either do it or I don’t.