Lawn Care Forum banner

pricing for all services

6K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  mow by the yard 
#1 ·
My brother and I have just started our own business in Orlando, and we have several commercial properties to bid on but I need alot of help knowing what is a competitve price. I need help pricing mowing, triming, hedging, mulching, spraying pesticide, fertlizer, herbicide, and anything else I have forgoten.

#2 ·
I would skip them if it was me. Why? I am not setup to do any commercial properties except really small ones. Later growing into this is something on my list but not jumping into the debt at this time.

Also, if you have no clue about pricing for anything your going to get your a** kicked on the bidding process.. Stick with residentials for now and learn the ropes first.

#3 ·
Yeah,...just that easy....
Simply get on a forum, ask for the prices, and we're in business!
LOL...seriously, though...you need to do alot of reading..And I mean ALOT of reading on here, before any questions are really even asked. Use the search feature. Look up words like job costing, costs, etc. The main thing is,...is you have to know YOUR OWN costs... and base your prices around that. You can't go by what someone elses prices are,..because they may be able to do it cheaper, OR it may cost them more.
As far as the pesticide applications (yes, herbicides ARE pesticides), forget it. It isn't going to happen with a start up company in Florida. Look up your state dept of agricultures website and research the qualifications and laws.
On the other hand, you have found a site with a wealth of information, and you have lots of god things ahead of you to learn. Welcome, Good luck, and let the journey begin.

#4 ·
I'm all about helping, but my advice would be to learn the ropes first. Also, there is really no way to give good advice on pricing when we have no info about the properties that you are trying to bid. I'm by no means trying to be rude, we would just need more info before we could really help you out.

#5 ·
Prices are so different around the country. You could have an account that you would charge $25 but I would price it at $35. Each area is so different, that there isn't uniform pricing for every type of lawn around the country. If your just starting, I wouldn't be going for commercials, especially ones that require spraying, since that is a bunch of qualifications that you need to meet in order to get your license. I would start with residentials or SMALL commercial, then once you have the hang of things, and are able to price things better, then you can go for the larger commercial accounts.

#6 ·
Well first thing you need to do is figure out your Companies Labor Rate, I think most people stick around $60/Hour. Secondly you need to review the scope of work requirements for each property you need to bid on. If you've never bid anything before, my best suggestion would be to walk each property with your yellow tablet handy and estimate how long each task will take you to perform, and remember to include time for everything. For example you might estimate 20 min. of mowing each week, 15 min. edging, 15 min. weeding landscaping areas, and so on, and then total up your time and Multiply by your labor rate, then figure your monthly rate.

#7 ·
READ READ READ, did I mention read. Also talk to maybe a fellow LCO there in your town.

#8 ·
I say you need to skip commercial accounts for now unless you are actually prepared with experience, equipment, and certification.

You've got one post on here and you're just starting up. You're wanting to do fert, pest, and herb spraying. If you're just starting out, do you know how you are going to do that? Are you certified yet? Insured?

You aren't going to get any commercial accounts without those for one.

Two, we don't have any information on your commercial accounts, how big they are, etc, but you and your brother are only two people. Someone down there with an established company and the workers to get the job done faster is going to lowball you to death.

Try dabbling in some residentials first, get everything squared away, then try for the big stuff.

Just my two cents.

#9 ·
I asked that very same question a few years back and I can tell you if you have to ask the question than you arent prepared to handle the work. I dont know if you will listen but all of these guys are telling you the truth. The fastest way to make a poor name for yourself and go out of business, is to under bid a property or not having enough equipment or qualified employees to manage the project. In due time.

#11 ·
Use the search feature on this site for the specific services you need help with. Keep in mind prices vary greatly across the country. Make sure you check the date of the post and try to stay current. You don't want pricing information from a post that's five years old.

#13 ·
I can't believe I read though all of this.

#14 ·
Well maybe it will save some other new guy a lot of trouble. His biggest hurdle would have been thinking he can do CPO work in FL easily. You need 3 years experience and ceu's to sit for test or a degree in hort and a year experience to sit. The test is no joke. If you want it they make you work for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
4 years later and i stumbled apon this thread. Seems like this jarman06 OP guy never made it. Last post was 4 years ago and his post count is 2, what a joke. The guy wanted a free ride and never even left his couch.
Keep searching and I'm sure you'll pull up quite a few more of these guys. I want to start a business but have no clue or ambition :dizzy:

Can you give me free business knowledge so I can be a millionaire without working too hard :drinkup:

#19 ·
I can't believe I read though all of this.
I too can't believe I just wasted my time reading all of this.... You are all correct though, I'm starting up in the Panhandle in Florida and it hasn't been easy. I have experience from before I joined the military, but I've found it extremely hard to bid on commercial around here, it seems that a lot of what I call "guys with a Craftsman" are getting a lot of the commercial stuff. I'm sticking with residential this year, maybe I can get more into something commercial next year, but we will have to see.....

#20 ·
O almost forgot, thank you everyone for the wealth of knowledge that you put out here, it is helpful.

#23 ·
My son has been in the lawn care business for 7 years. All residential accounts. He is considering starting a separate business spraying lawns as 80% of his customers use Tru-Green, Weed Man or some service. His customers have agreed to switch to him if he decides to start. He has completed classes and obtained the state required license (NC). He is looking at a 200 gal. Lesco spray rig. He needs advice on pricing and chemicals. WHat to spray when and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

#24 ·
My son has been in the lawn care business for 7 years. All residential accounts. He is considering starting a separate business spraying lawns as 80% of his customers use Tru-Green, Weed Man or some service. His customers have agreed to switch to him if he decides to start. He has completed classes and obtained the state required license (NC). He is looking at a 200 gal. Lesco spray rig. He needs advice on pricing and chemicals. WHat to spray when and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Show him to the pesticide forum. His biggest hurdle will be dealing with transition zone grasses. Cool season and warm season grasses are treated two completely different ways. You can easily fry a lawn using the wrong chem package. If he is lucky everybody is Fescue or KBG. Vastily easier and cheaper to treat and make money.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.