1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for Big Leaf Removal Job (0.32 Acre Lot)

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by justinpsmith, Dec 21, 2019.

1. justinpsmith

justinpsmith LawnSite Member

4482453E-2975-425B-A080-1CF908B4FCE2.jpeg BB6499DA-C7FD-473A-A64F-FEC8238B231F.jpeg D0F1D0B6-E2EA-46A8-99CC-77C1319327AA.jpeg D18EB355-6C05-425B-B2B5-C4691D374F19.jpeg 1EF3AE20-0C23-41B0-8756-7C040D79A14B.jpeg A44D9C9B-1DD2-4A12-9CD2-08FA1D503935.jpeg 9716EE65-E073-4FDB-A271-9534E70E05BF.jpeg I need to give a client a price for removing all the leaves on their property (town has curbside pickup so I just need to pile leaves on curb)
    This is not a client I’ve done lawn work with before (I did a pressure washing job for them this past summer)
    The lot is 0.32 acres and the house is pretty small so it most of the lot has leaves.
    I’ve uploaded pictures. How much would u guys charge?
    Also, how many man hours would you estimate for this job?

2. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Not a very big job. Time depends on equipment used. Probably around $250.

Cjames808, Cam15, sjessen and 6 others like this.
  3. dfcam

dfcam LawnSite Member

Bill by the hour, can never go wrong and it's fair for both parties...

kemco likes this.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Depends on the equipment. A tarp and a rake will be much slower than big backpacks, etc. As long as the hourly rate is commensurate with the tools being used, yes, it is fair.

This is also assuming the OP and his workers are working productively, as in, kicking it.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

It’ll be me and one other guy doing it. We’ll each have a blower, rake and tarp (not a backpack blower just a handheld gas one. Launching my lawn business this spring, expanding on my pressure washing business, so I’ll buy a backpack blower or two before the spring but for now that’s what I got since I’m new to the lawn game)
    Sides of the house and the front yard leaves can be blown right to the curb. Backyard we’ll have to put leaves on the tarps and drag to the front.

Not billing hourly because it seems weird, especially because the homeowners won’t even be there.

6. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

If you get the job better hurry over and get it done. If it rains it will be very hard to blow wet leafs with a hand blower.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

I’m sorry but you can’t do that job without a backpack blower. One for each person. A handheld blower is only good for blowing grass clippings, fertilizer, and very very very light leaves.

I’d pass on the job. You’ll hate every second without the proper equipment.

kemco likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

I’ve done a couple leaf cleanups so far, and while the handheld blower isn’t ideal it’s been working, obviously not like right after it rains though. But rain won’t be a problem with this job.

You really would pass on this job if you were in my situation? I ended up bidding $245 (which I’m very confident they’ll take). I’m thinking with my equipment it won’t be more than 5 or 6 man hours. So while I won’t be getting too much PMH, right now I’m just trying to get experience/clientelle/recommendations for lawn work to successfully expand from just pressure washing. Not to mention I need revenue to be able to invest in better equipment in the spring. For those reasons I definetely think it’s worth it to take the job.

MowDaddy, zlandman and sjessen like this.
  9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Hope you get the job.

Would you be willing to report back and let us know how it went?

MILLC, kemco, Cam15 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Digitaria Sanguinalis

Digitaria Sanguinalis LawnSite Senior Member

You can always line up 3-4 in a day and rent some backpack blowers.

MILLC and Cam15 like this.