1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing for Big Leaf Removal Job (0.32 Acre Lot)

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by justinpsmith, Dec 21, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

justinpsmith LawnSite Member

Update, I got the job and bought a backpack blower (Used but in very good condition -- ECHO PB-500T for $150). I got a couple more leaf jobs too, so it'll be worth it for sure.

We will be doing the job tomorrow. Back yard it'll be one of us on the backpack blower blowing leaves together and other guy on the tarp moving them to the curb. For both side yards, and the front, we will be blowing leaves right to the curb, one of us on the backpack the other using a handheld.

Yeah 245$ is low but I really wanted to be confident we'd get the job. Guess we'll see how long it takes though.

Will be doing the job tomorrow.

Mark Stark, Cam15, zlandman and 3 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

Also, based on this equipment how many man hours would you estimate? I want to see if we are working as efficiently as we can.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Congrats!!

justinpsmith and Cam15 like this.
  4. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

My body won't let me do that!

MILLC, Cam15 and sjessen like this.
  5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Platinum Member

Id guess 3 to 4 all depends on how motivated you guys are. Congrats on the new blower!

justinpsmith likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

Appreciate the advice. Finished the job, took me and 1 other guy nearly 4 hours to complete (7.5 man hours ). The shrubs were difficult...

So reflection, I underbid for sure, and I’m taking too long to finish jobs. Fruesteratong because we are definetely working hard. I guess we’re just not being efficient enough. I’m very new to the lawn care business so hopefully I can get more efficient at it. Also definetely need another backpack blower.

I also passed out 500 flyers today with specific emphasis on next-day leaf removal (many people still haven’t taken care of their leaves in my area, and I kept my guy on the clock and he helped me pass out flyers after we finished the job.). Hoping to get another few calls in the next week and make this Second backpack blower worth it for this fall. Most of all fall leaf cleanups seem to be a great time to get weekly lawn care clients for spring/summer 2020. This customer today requested a proposal for that.

MowDaddy, Mark Stark, MILLC and 3 others like this.
  7. Cam15

Congrats on finishing it! It may not have been very profitable money wise but youll be thankful for the experience next year. If your gonna get another backpack blower this year id recommend making it either a stihl 800 or a echo what ever their biggest one is....

MowDaddy, MILLC and sjessen like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    justinpsmith

Thank you. I understand those are the best blowers. Given that I only have a few clients locked in for lawn care 2020 so far you really think it’s in my best interest to invest in the top of the industry blower ?

sjessen and Cam15 like this.
  9. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

After you get your equipment purchased, in this instance backpack blowers. From personal experience we are an Echo type of Brand favor. So if you enjoy the Echo line of blowers, I would buy anything above the 580T. The 580T is okay for grass and stuff, but when the leaves get wet it really eats up your time.

Also if you haven't already get yourself some tarps utilize those. Another method that doesn't work too bad if you're running out of room in your trailer, dump bed, etc. Run over the leaves with your mower to chop them up finely. Then shovel them into the trailer.

We currently have the following blowers. ( Pay attention to the letters Echo uses you could get throttle control on a second handle or trigger. )

Echo PB-580T ( Don't use this for wet leaves, wastes too much time. )
    Echo PB-755ST
    Echo PB-770H

Our next purchase is to upgrade the 580T to the 8010T. There is no need for the 8010T if you're just starting out. The 700 series work just fine.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    MILLC, justinpsmith and Cam15 like this.
  10. Cam15

Only you can make that call, if you can line up enough work to pay for it this year still then id say go for it! I bought the 800 this year and it has significantly reduced the amount of time per job....

MowDaddy and MILLC like this.