Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone hates weeding and most people don't want to do it. I'm wondering what would be a reasonable price to charge customers for weeding? One customer was okay with $50 a hour but another person that called me said it was "way too much". I guess you can't make everyone happy with prices but I want to make sure I'm charging a "fair" price that people won't complain about. What's everyone out there charging?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our rate per man hour moved up to $65 per hour for general landscaping work, plantings, cleanups, etc. These are workers with 3-10 experience and are productive. That is our target hourly for estimates on jobs. We really hope to not go below $52 per man hour when everything shakes out at the end of jobs. Don't get bullied by customers saying its way too much - most have no idea what it takes and how expensive it is to run small businesses these days, and they think all of that hourly rate goes into your pocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right! I just recently started my business this year and have a few happy customers, no complains what so ever. Then to hear a customer complain today about my pricing just kinda blew my mind. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable! Pulling weeds when its 100 outside is no fun! Obviously if it wasn't hard work, they wouldn't be looking for someone to do it for them 😆

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
If you can work in a city, you can probably make a LOT of money doing it.
While mowing my city routes I see a lot of "gardeners" working the flowerbeds - it's all they do - planting and weeding.

I don't want to do it. Mostly because the entire time I'm doing it, I think about how much easier it is to make money walking behind a mower vs on my hands and knees, in the dirt.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Right! I just recently started my business this year and have a few happy customers, no complains what so ever. Then to hear a customer complain today about my pricing just kinda blew my mind. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable! Pulling weeds when its 100 outside is no fun! Obviously if it wasn't hard work, they wouldn't be looking for someone to do it for them 😆
Exactly. Just blow it off. You'll always encounter people that think you are priced too high.

You're forgetting a few conditions on top of that 100 degree heat. Feel free to add these to your list of selling points. Here's why you should hire out sir. Do you want to pull weeds under these conditions?
  • Sun, heat, humidity, oppressive sub tropical dew points
  • In an environment riddled with mosquitos, gnats, wood ticks, deer ticks, biting flies, wasps, hornets & who knows what other assorted stinging & biting pests
  • That carry & spread diseases such as zika virus, west nile virus, malaria, lyme's disease & many other debilitating & death inducing diseases

·
Super Moderator
18,934 Posts
Pulling weeds is hard work--and it is low to the ground on hands and knees--hard on the back. My partner last week pulled a 3-leaf plant. Could have been poison ivy. She took a picture and Google identified it as "tree of heaven". Stay tuned. Elderly people just cannot do hand weeding. But her budget may be tight. Can you pull a bushel of weeds an hour--charge $60 per bushel?
And...there are opportunities to use skill, experience, special tools, hoop hoes and garden knives (hori-hori), plus chemical methods--next year get her to sign up for pre-emergent in the garden area--Snapshot for instance.
And feel free to spot spray weeds with Roundup or a really fast-acting product like Quicksilver--24 hours--quick and easy. (Sometimes 4 hours.) Of course, you have to stay about 2 inches away from the flowers. You will learn how to do this--part art --part science. Maybe carry a light plastic shield in your left hand to protect the flowers. Maybe cover the flowers or roses with a plastic trash bag--spray and remove the bag. Guarantee the results--she only pays after the weeds are dead or gone. She will be more confident and accept your price that way. And you will spray very carefully.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Exactly. Just blow it off. You'll always encounter people that think you are priced too high.

You're forgetting a few conditions on top of that 100 degree heat. Feel free to add these to your list of selling points. Here's why you should hire out sir. Do you want to pull weeds under these conditions?
  • Sun, heat, humidity, oppressive sub tropical dew points
  • In an environment riddled with mosquitos, gnats, wood ticks, deer ticks, biting flies, wasps, hornets & who knows what other assorted stinging & biting pests
  • That carry & spread diseases such as zika virus, west nile virus, malaria, lyme's disease & many other debilitating & death inducing diseases
Now I'm afraid to go outside.
:oops:

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
It's tough the first time around. Hard not to take the rejection personally and doubt yourself. Stay strong and don't buckle on price, let the the cheapos get on their own knees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's tough the first time around. Hard not to take the rejection personally and doubt yourself. Stay strong and don't buckle on price, let the the cheapos get on their own knees.
Yeah I guess since I'm new in the business there's still that little bit of doubt there. I'm sure after a couple years, you just roll your eyes at those people.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I’ve never, ever, once muttered my hourly 🤐
Exactly.
You have to look at the job and give them a price to do it.
"Regular folk" go into cardiac arrest at the thought of someone getting 4x more hour more than they make at their job - just to pull weeds.
The trick is pricing it accurately - which comes with experience.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
I have a nice new account in a small gated community that I am dying to sink my claws into. This house has Mexican petunias in the front asiatic jasmine bed. I told her I’d hand pull the petunias at the end of each month for $30. I set my alarm for 15 minutes and pull until the bell tolls. Never said anything about 15 minutes or anything except I’ll pull the big ones. Slowly but surely it’s getting easier each month.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts