Pricing hazardous jobs

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Steve, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Steve

Steve LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from NE FL

How do you put a price on something that is hazardous?

Example, I've seen somebody say they charge minimum $35 to use the chainsaw. So maybe a 10' tree take 2 cuts, one in the middle and one at the base and boom you're done in 2 minutes. Why not 20 or 25 dollars?

Cleaning roof, do you charge more for a steep angled roof vs an almost flat roof?

Debbie Neese likes this.
  2. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

For any job that can potentially be dangerous, employees expect to be compensated for it. With the tree, you still have travel time, cleanup, time spent quoting it, there should be minimum a few hours for anything unless you are including the tree with other work.

3. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

It depends on the hazard. Personally I as a solo avoid jobs that are hazardous like climbing into roofs or cutting down large trees. I stick to what I'm good at and makes me money.

Remember Steve not every call or lead is a job you want to take. Sometimes it's best to say no and move onto a better job or client.

4. OP
    OP
    Steve

Male, from NE FL

Let me clarify, this would be work on a newer existing customer that I am going to suggest a few things. Cutting some low branches that are too big loppers, cutting up some weed trees that are a little large.

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

What I do for stuff like that is get my base price. Hourly x time. Then add a hassle up charge. It depends on what it is how much it goes. Like for example a simple annual color change that is out front a condo building will be charged the basic hourly x time. Where the same install on a rooftop will be (basic x time)+hassle=price. The hassle charge usually falls in the 20-50% range. For my example access to the roof via an elevator will be less then having to climb stairs or even more for a ladder.

I make sure of two things when pricing anything. 1. Do I make money 2. Is it enough money for me to do it. Sure I can make money cutting a branch out of a tree for $20. But the juice needs to be worth the squeeze.

6. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

So whats a landscaper with landscaping insurance doing on a roof...

Debbie Neese and hort101 like this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Tree guys charge more for experience, equipment and insurance all based on risk

Tree service insurance is very expensivepayuppayuppayup

8. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Any ladder work I do, for example tall hedges should have a hassle charge, 5-6 hours on a ladder with a hedge trimmer in the sun and you aren’t going to want to start another job. Needs to be billed for a full day.

9. OP
    OP
    Steve

Male, from NE FL

build up of leave's or branches on the roof, or I've even seen a guy with the blower on the roof cleaning out the gutter, or even like Mitty said, being on a ladder doing some tall hedges.

I'm not talking about tree's that require ropes, bucket trucks, or tree climbing. I'm talking about a smaller tree that can be handled from the ground without any special skills. No way I'm touching a giant oak or pine tree.

hort101 and Debbie Neese like this.