1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing in North Louisiana?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DustyH, Oct 16, 2006.

1. DustyH

DustyH LawnSite Member

I am starting in business in North Louisiana in the spring, maybe a few before winter sets in, and was wondering what the going rates where around here. I talked to a guy at the lawnmower shop, and he said nobody was getting more than $35 for a residential lot in town, and a little more if you went out of town in to the country. I think he was full of it myself. Does everyone charge businesses more for the same amount of work? Does it require a license here?

2. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

He is right, the area is saturated with people who have not got a clue of their costs. We pull doorhangers off of doors of homes we are getting 40-45 bucks for with 25.00 written on them all the time. Also for just mowing you need at least a parish business license, and if you do hedges - a horticultural services, plant one bush - a landscape contractor license and if you squirt some roundup on a weed in a parking lot- commercial pesticide applicators license. The first one you can get from your parish courthouse. The last three are avaliable from dept of ag and require a written test. Then if you sale items you also need sales tax certificates.

3. DustyH

DustyH LawnSite Member

Where do you take the exam for the Pesticide license? I went the the county extension office to take the test when I got my private applicators license. What part of LA are you from, MSLawn?

4. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

You usually take the test at dept of ag district office. We are in Ouachita Parish.