Pricing lawns in Michigan

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by dan9812, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Mattmowsgrass

Mattmowsgrass LawnSite Member

I work in Detroit, and the downriver area. I have a 30 dollar minimum, last year, my minimum was 35.
    $30 is too much for most around here, so ,80 percent of estimates get reject, by the customer. But I'm stubborn. if I give a price its non negotiable.
    If they say something like " I'll give you $20 to mow my lawn" , I charge them 35 minimum.

Jeff@diyokc and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  2. Mattmowsgrass

It's hard here because most people live on bridge cards and disability, and social security. most people only make 1200 per month most households make less then $2000 per month, average wage around here is $10. I refuse to be one of them.
    But I understand from their point of view, they need to work 3 to 4 hrs, for me to come in and work for 20 to 30 minutes.
    But, like I always say. If you cant afford lawn service, you dont get lawn service.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  3. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly, they can buy a push mower.

4. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

This was my schedule for friday. 1 newb in a truck. $25,45,40,40,45. About noon to 6. I am learning on every job. I also picked up two new acounts friday for future service. Mowed the 1 Saturday for $50. Thanks.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

You start mowing at noon, lol.

GrassManKzoo and Mark Stark like this.
  6. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I believe he also has another job.

7. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

If we are talking Detroit then half the regular going rate ($70 per man hour) is prob about right.
    Have you tried improving efficiency? Using the right Mower & trimmer setup on each lawn ?
    Are u sending 3 guys to a lawn that has 10 minutes of trimming and 1hour mowing - but only 2 mowers? ...so trim guy milks 5 minutes into 30 ?
    Minutes count if your bread and butter is mowing then focus on getting every lawn timed to th minute and find out where you maybe loosing big. A couple low priced lawns will drag your per man hour right down.

8. Mattmowsgrass

9. Jasburrito

Jasburrito LawnSite Member

1 newb in a truck. Today i worked from 10 till 4. $50,35,25,30,45,15,40. I have been passing on lots of work that is not close. Working on close proximity and density. So it seems mowing if i stay busy i can bill out about 250 ish. A day. Thanks.

Mattmowsgrass likes this.