1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing on laying sod?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Schooldaddy, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Schooldaddy

Schooldaddy LawnSite Member

How much do you charge to lay sod for a newly built house? Do you measure the square footage and multiply by a certain $ amount?

2. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Some price it by sq, ft others by the sq. yd.

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

It all depends in your costs I guess. Around here I will charge anywhere from 125.00 to 175.00 per 500 sq. ft. Sod and labor.

4. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We charge $125 per pallet to lay sod. Any site prep work is extra.

5. Schooldaddy

Schooldaddy LawnSite Member

Are you guys basing the $125 price off of a pallet of Centipede that costs roughly $50 per pallet?

6. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

sq.yard or sq. f.t plus prep. and labor

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My sod company will lay it for $15.00 per pallet if I buy it from them. $60/pallet for centipede, $105.00/pallet for St. Aug.

I can't afford NOT to let them install all of my sod at that price.

8. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

I alaways try to price with an hourly rate. You seem to lose too often if you don't. I like to price hard labor jobs like this higher too so you can take your empoyees to lunch or something. I started laying sod when I was 16 and worked from the bootom up to were I gained enough knowledge to start my own lco. I understand what those guys feel like busting their backs for 9or 10$ per hour. When you treat your empoyees good they usually work harder for someone they like.

9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge $4.50/sq.yd.

10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

access right up to the site, labor including pickup was $1.25 per yard, next year will be at least $1.50 maybe more, minimum. Prep is usually $1.25