Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
I talked to a guy a few weeks ago that was an estimator/manager for a larger company and he told me that he did this. I dont remember the numbers he gave but I was going to contact him about this. He stated that this was a pretty good way to tie up commercials.

· Registered
15,214 Posts
Nope...This has been discussed on here time and time again. There are no magic numbers. You give me a 40,000 sq ft. property with 10 trees and two buildings and price it. Now give me a 20,000 sq. ft. property with 10 trees, two buildings, a bird bath, 4 beds, 1 breakwall, a hill and a ditch that has to be worked with a wb or hand mower. Oh yeah,...the back has 200 ft. of cyclone fence to trim. Now,....is the 40M property going to be approx. twice the cost of the 20M property?
If someone is wanting to know a "square ft." price,...it sounds like he may be in it for ulterior motives. This guy may have a friend or "nephew" or something going into the business that wants to know how to price things. Otherwise,...who asks for an estimate by the "square foot".

· Registered
501 Posts
I would quote him a price that does not break down to square footage even though thats what he asked for, I would explain that I use multple factors, including but not limited to square footage to come to a fair and competative price and leave it at that, he can either say yes or no at this point.

· Registered
224 Posts
exactly what runner said... jsut look at it figure it your way ... " how much do you need to make it profitable for you" and if he really wants square feet just do the math and give him the number...

no matter what.. smile and shale your head internally

· Registered
1,113 Posts
I viewed a property the other day and the guy insist on a price per square foot .Total is 160,699 square feet .I have never priced like this before any ideas ?
Just figure how long it will take, multiply that by your $$ per hour you are wanting, then divide that by the sq feet.

Then when you give him the quote say something like "For this property my price per sq. foot is $0.XX"

At least that is what I would do.

· Registered
299 Posts
Give him the price and tell him to figure out the price per sq ft. :hammerhead:

· Banned
23,143 Posts
That's just kooky, I'm not sure if I sense a comedian or what this is about :p

It's just...
How silly, say I price the yard at 160 what's that come to a penny per square foot?
But who cares, it's not a universal formula since it would only work for that yard.
Strange...

Well, that's what I would tell the man, just to answer the question,
probably right under a penny per sq.ft., like 0.9 cents or so.

· Banned
23,143 Posts
If someone is wanting to know a "square ft." price,...it sounds like he may be in it for ulterior motives. This guy may have a friend or "nephew" or something going into the business that wants to know how to price things. Otherwise,...who asks for an estimate by the "square foot".
Yup, that was my first suspicion too.

Either that or they plan on throwing one or more smaller properties in there,
call you up later and hey hey buddy, same per square foot price right?

But either how, just say the price per square foot for this comes out to 0.9 cents.
That's it, just answer the question, what I would do.

· Registered
15,214 Posts
A penny a sq. ft.??? lol...no one would pay it...not even .9 cents (9/10 of a cent) per sq. ft.. If we figure 160,000 sq. ft., that would be $1,440 per mowing.:laugh: I think if we could go in and collect about a buck for every 10x10 ft. sq. we cut, more people would be doing it than what are already.;) I think about two dollars per 1000 is probably closer to the going rate for most. Even then, it goes down with larger areas (most people aren't apt to pay $320 a week to have under 4 acres mowed).:eek:

· Registered
151 Posts
Lot of foreclosures are by square footage. Price depends on company. But, say $50-85 for 1st 15k square feet and an additional $25 for every 5k square feet thereafter. So 160k sq. ft. would cost around $775. Tweak it depending on how bad you want it. Sounds high to me. In any case it's a screwy way to price a job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.