1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Strategy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMowerMan2003, Jun 21, 2003.

1. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm trying to plan a better pricing strategy and I had a couple of questions.

1. If I know that some people will pay $10 more for a basic one hour lawn than what I am charging others (with a 21" and curved shaft Echo) should I start giving all estimates with the higher price? Or do I need to determine the percentage of people who will pay more first?

2. I know this varies, but what would be the minimum hourly rate using my slower equipment (with the 21" being the main factor)?

3. I have seen this number before but I can't remember:
    What percentage of my estimates (just regular mow and edge service) should I be getting jobs on, if it is possible to judge my pricing this way?

Thanks for the help.

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

1. I would say it kinda depends on your current hourly rate...tacking $10 onto what $60?, $75? But odds are I would tack on teh extra $10 and give everyone a fair estimate, don't wanna charge lawn A $75 and Lawn B (same size) $65 just cause you know you can get it from Lawn A, cause Lawn A and B may be buds or co-workers, or cousins etc...

2. Even with the small blade you gotta get at LEAST $60/hour or you are wasting time and money.

3. I tend to shoot for 70% of estimates booked...but it can vary:blob3:

3. LawnMowerMan2003

Thanks for the advice, but if you're right about the $60/hour I'm in trouble! I know the market well enough to know that many services in my area charge only $25-$30 for those lawns.

I was charging $25 (my minimum) for up to an hour (note that there's very few lawns that take less time that I've found). I charged $35 for a couple of those lawns and curently have 2 customers who are paying $35. I don't see any way possible I could get $60 for those lawns. This may be because the people with better equipment are charging $60/hour and doing the same lawns in 30 mins.

4. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would suggest banging out 2 $30 lawns in an hour or getting more $$$ if 1 lawn takes an hour:blob3:

5. LawnMowerMan2003

Well, I may just have to wait untill I can purchase a 36" walk-behind to do this. My Troybilt is a little slow, and so is the curved shaft Echo with the rapid loader head, but without the 36" I wouldn't expect to cut more than 15 minutes off.