1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sword, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Sword

Sword LawnSite Member

I’m preparing for next spring, and am trying to be more consistent with my pricing. My question is how do you quote for lawn cutting contracts? Is there a % mark-up, after all direct costs are factored? I’m having trouble finding out exactly what my COST is?

I pay my two employees $10 each an hour =$20/hr ?Labour.
    But How would I get a dollar figure for my:
    -1990 Chev ¾ Ton, 2 wheel drive
    -2005 Gravely Promaster210,
    -2 Commercial Self-Propelled
    -2 FS85 Stihl Trimmers (3 years old)
    -1 BR400 Stihl Blower
    -14’ Tandem Electric Brakes Trailer
    -Fuel/hr

What do you think my cost, would be per hour, obviously $20(labour) + how much more for equipment? And then what type of mark-up?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

those two employees cost you more than $20/hr!

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

generally if you pay someone $10 it is actually costing about $15 by the time u pay their FICA and workers comp etc... As for expenses look at how much you spend a year in gas, repairs, oil changes etc. and then look at how long you expect a mower to last and how much it cost and divide that up. Also figure in insurance etc. For a solo business my costs average out to about 40%. This includes Trucks mowers gas insurance etc. Oh and I like to buy new toys so this sometimes ups my cost.