Pricing

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by Guest, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Volume, Volume, Volume... You don't have to drive/haul your equipment to different jobs sites. I think I would knock something off a $450 trim job for volume. I don't know if I would go down to $100. 100 oaks? Thats a lot of wood to keep and sell, if thats part of the deal

2. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

Yes its alot of wood. Truck load per tree as we are mainly raising the trees and doing a light dead wood trim. The oaks are about 50 years old and are pin oaks.

3. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

How is it we price an oak trim out from 150 to 450 for one tree, but we will trim 100 oaks for 100 each. Granted for 100 they dont get the 450 trim .Just thought id ask since it was on my mind. THANKS

4. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

We took a cottonwood out over the the power pole and transformer for 7k it took one day. Asplundh guys wouldnt touch it. It was uprooted out of a creek and leaning over power lines and homes. The tree was probaly 120 to 130 foot and about a 50 foot spread. The cheapest tree i did was in virgina it was a 150 ft pine drop only for 700.00 ( we needed gas money to get home) Not alot of money that way for tree trimming.

5. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

i dig some up or get some of the work we are doing now. We are trying to get 57 oaks raised and cleaned out this week. Might get some pics of that work. We got 14 in today with 2 trimmers and three grounds men

6. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

Had a lady call me from a neighborhood I normally do not bid in for lack worth. It was her 3rd call and she used my name on the voice mail so I assumed she was referred to me

She said she was getting estimate(s) (I hate when they say that). She told me she had a maple with an entire side that was dead and I tried to get a little info out of her. She had 5 quotes, wanted to get 7 or more and the lowest price was 150$. I said to drive to your job do a little work and drive back I would be around 350$ so we are wasting each other s time. She said the l50$ guy was going to climb the tree instead of using a bucket like some said they would. Wouldn t I be cheaper if I climbed the tree? I said the 150$ guy is not cheaper than the other tree guys bcs he was climbing but rather likely because he was not very good or inexperienced at what he does.

If I did not get the inside info on this bid I would have wasted gas money and more important an aspect of my day to bid on this. Like I said, often I do not even call back to certain areas as they are historically unproductive and if you tell them that they are (rightfully) offended.

7. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

Sounds like you underbid that job the way he jumped on it. If it is so hard and undesirable really nail them and make sure that if they agree to a ridiculous price then you will "really want" the job at that price.

8. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

I once bid 10k on a 5k job it was so dangerous and fallen/falling apart. I didn't want it but I sucked it up and did it. It paid a lot of bills. It was a 10k$ crown reduction. Sounds hard to believe, but true.

9. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

It was the biggest Bur oak in the state of Ohio. 140 feet tall with about 140 foot canopy spread and huge dbh. It shed a huge leader in a downshear wind event and crushed the south side of their house. A 22 ton crane would not budge the branch off the house and blew black smoke set up right next to it. 4 other leaders had crotch fractures and were moving in the wind. One would crush the main structure if another day went by. I had to do the up on the hook thang and then set a choker and then come down on climb line, buck in and wait for crane to cinch up and ready to cut back to lateral. If leader chose to fall off at that time, no crane including the 50 ton we had to set up at a distance would have stayed upright and we all would have gone over and I would have been killed with no question. Did that on all fractured leads and others.

Did it about 5 years ago and clients still have a healthy appearing tree that is still over 500 years old (core sample by Ohio State U.) and are enjoying it.

10. OP
    OP

Guest Guest

Way to go KCTreeMata, Good job. I think the standard for a nice meaty tree removal to me has become $7k or better. Done about half a dozen in the last few weeks. Finally removals are getting profitable. I think the skill pool is diminishing possibly. Plenty of competition for the smaller, easier ones but when it gets to the monsters in tough spots......... Got any picts?