1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WINGNUT, Mar 1, 2004.

1. WINGNUT

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

I have a bid to do on a residential piece. It is going to take approx. 60 yards of mulch. The owner wants to purchase the mulch and have it delivered and then I would come over and spread it. Most of it will go into large beds without a lot of plants. I can use a small lawn tractor with a trailer to haul it from the pile to the beds. Any ideas on how to price this?????????

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Moving mulch that way will be time consuming. I would estimate about 1 hour per yard to spread it times your hourly rate. If there is any bed prep. or edging add that too.

3. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

for the labor I'd start at $35/hr/man. If equipment is being used factor that in also.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, your gonna be tired of mulch if your moving it all by yourself. I suggest getting some people to help you and pay them accordingly.

5. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

If I were going to do it I would used two double wheelbarrows and pick up 2 mexicans and pay them $6 per hour 60 X $35 = $2100 2 ten hour days 20 X 2 X 6 = $240 and you are left with $1860 for 2 days work. Thats what I'd do.

6. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it takes an hour to spread 1 yard. A yard is only 1 bucket, from a front in loader. I think you could do 4 yards per hour with 2 guys. One year working on a golf course we mulched every bed on the course.......took all winter.

Anyway, You could use wheelbarrels or a small bobcat to move mulch around, then hard racks and pitch forks to spread.

I bet you can knock this out in 20 hours for $1,500-$2,000

7. WINGNUT

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

THANKS!!!! 'Ya'll's ideas are really helping. I just started in this business and I'm kinda learning by trial and error. My first job so far was 40 yards of mulch. I had to haul it myself (1/2 ton p/u and small trailer) and spread it. I priced it at mulch cost X 2 for total job price. It came to $1500 ( 750 for the mulch and 750 for the labor). I learned a lot off that one!! I think I cut myself a little short on that deal.

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

mow2nd .
    u wanna do all my mulch jobs? Do your homework a yard is not one bucket. It takes about 2 hepping 72" buckets. 60 yards is almost a semi load. With wheelbarrels you are looking at about 4-5 days.

9. WINGNUT

WINGNUT LawnSite Member

I hope I figured the yards right. I used the square footage divided by 100 post I saw earlier. The customer said that the last time he bought mulch, it took 2 large dump truck loads. He didn't say if they were tandems or not.

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a pretty small bucket you are using. Around here the bark places use a loader with a 2 yard bucket at least.