• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Pricing

Grass Groomer

LawnSite Member
This year i added chem apps to my list of services I have been somewhat successful with this venture so far but i am alitle concerned about my pricing Do i really need to measure footage or can i go by eye If footage how much per

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
How do you know that the spreader is set to the right sq ft, if you dont know the sq ft of the lawn your doing?

For direct mail marketing I guess sq ft to give a price, once sold I measure to track chemical usage. But, ive been measuring lawns for 19 years so I can guess and come pretty close.

Ive

Randy Scott

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by Grass Groomer
If spreader is set to correct ammount per 1000ft than a lawn is a lawn. right?
So you're going to fertilize and then give them a price after seeing how much you use?

To answer your question, YES, you have to measure the property. Or you can keep shooting from the hip and guessing. However you prefer to run your business.

LwnmwrMan22

LawnSite Platinum Member
If you "shoot from the hip" better make sure you're more than over sqf the property is. Best to measure.

jeff_0

LawnSite Senior Member
for priceing no you need to measure but for putting down the fert no you really don't.. if you know you sprayer is calibrated for 1 gallon per k that you walk in 45 secs. then if you measure it or not your still going do be still putting down the same amount. down fall is. you might be mixing too much or to little for the amount of work you need to do.

bobbygedd

LawnSite Fanatic
if you're doing granular, u need to know how many sq ft the property is to document your chemical usage(pounds). or, carry a scale

GrassBustersLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
In INDIANA we HAVE TO MEASURE IT (required by the State Chemist) and have a drawing of it, and have calculations as to Net Treatable Square Feet. It needs to have customer's Name/Address as well as a certain number of questions for TECHNICIAN to review (such as "Are you at the right address?") and this ALL has to be in your possession while doing the property.

SECONDLY, IF YOU DON'T MEASURE, how do you know if you aren't CHEATING YOURSELF on the price???

Mike