1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

princess 77 questions

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by straightlinelawns, Feb 24, 2006.

1. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

my personal lawn is common bermuda. It is a level lawn and pretty small. I saw some bermuda princess 77 grass seed the other day at lowes and want to give it a try. I'm tring to figure out the best way to do it. Should i kill the common bermuda first and then airerate and seed? should i just cut the bermuda to the ground, ( i have a tru cut reel mower i cut it with) and over seed the princess 77. any help would be great. by the way, i want the lawn to look like a putting green because i have about 12 customers that live in my subdivision and i want them to see my lawn and want the same in theirs.

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Several questions:
    Is your property irrigated?
    do you own an verticutter?
    what type of soil, sructure, admendments exist at your site?
    what height is the Tru-cut set to?
    How many blades are on the Tru-cut?
    Is the existing host turf actually common bermudagrass or is it a hybrid such as 419?

3. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

the property is irigated. no i don't own a verticutter,. it has ok soil, but i can fix that, the tru cut is set on the third hole from the bottom up, and i think there is 6 or 9 blades on the mower, it is the 23'' cut with the 5.5 honda and has the metal catcher in front,and it is common bermuda not a hybrid like tiffsport or 419 or tiffway