1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Principle truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Jun 7, 2000.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Right now, I operate out of a Dodge Dakota, V-6 gas hog, pulling a 6X14 single axle trailer. Was thinking of getting a 12 - 14 dumping stake body truck (Dodge cummins or an Isuzu NPR Diesel) so that I could haul yard debris w/o having to go to the dump 2-3 times a day when doing shrubs and stuff. Do you think a one man operation using this type of truck is overkill? Thanks.<p>----------<br>When the mowing gets tough, sharpen your damn blades!<br>

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

TOO MUCH FOR ONE MAN OPERATION<br>GET 3/4 HD W/ INSERT DUMP,BUILD SIDE BOARDS <br>WILL HAUL 5 YARDS OF ANYTHING(NOT STONE OR DIRT)I DUMP MINE EVERY OTHER DAY MOSTLY GRASS BUT A FEW TIMES A YEAR W/ BUSH CLIPPINGS <br>DOUG<br>

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 88 Chev extended cab with an 8' box and pull a 12' trailer, I am thinking of buying a chipper to reduce the volume of brush and branches so that I don't have as many trips to the dump a day. I have an 18' flat bed that I am presently building into a trailer but will still be getting the chipper because it will help alot I think. Something to consider to reduce the volume.

4. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

International ACCO 6 tonner 22'6&quot; beavertail<br>tray + Mitsubishi Canter 3 tonner 15' tray.<br>Hard to tell which is the principle truck as<br>they both get used equally.<p>Karl<br>

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowin4Cash, why don't you just get a 6x18 trailer. This will give you a lot of extra dumping space in the front of the trailer and with tandem axles you will get the added benefit of trailer brakes. Total cost 2 grand and you could probably get 800 to 1000 for your current trailer. By far the cheapest solution.

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i have a ford 94 f-250 with a 16' trailer

7. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

87 Ford 350 diesel with 16' beaver tail landscape body.

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

WE HAVE A 99 DODGE RAM 2500 4X4 WITH A E-Z DUMPER INSERT AND A 16FT. TRAILER.

9. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

we use a 92' f-250 ford with a single axle 14' trailer. big would be better

10. The Mowman

The Mowman LawnSite Member

We use a 96' Dodge 3500 extended cab with insert e-z dumper with built up sides. Works great.<p>----------<br>Stephen<br>