Prison spraying

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
Prison spraying..I picked up a couple of 2 app a year round up sprays at some correctional facilities. Really easy money, if you don't mind being watched by some shady people..anyway the last two years I used a agifab sprayer I bought at the local hardware store. I just made a temp bracket that sat inside the hopper and rode around the property using the normal spray gun that came with the sprayer. Power was sourced off the batter of the zspray with a pigtail plug.

This system works okay, I carry water in the zspray to fill the agifab tank, and I carry a few extra 2.5 gallon water bottles, but I still need to go back to the truck for a fill up. Plus the last two times I killed the battery on the zspray so Im looking for ideas for this coming season.

Im thinking of a pull behind sprayer, simaliar to this..

but not quite as big, however it would need to have its own power so I don't get stranded out in the boonies. Looking for ideas on other ways to do this, and possibly any lead on used sprayers.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
That pic of the Zspray by the razor wire is classic:)

Any chance you can hose down the inmate population to reduce taxpayer burden??

Volman

LawnSite Member
Why not just use ur existing tanks? Rup works a lot like a soap anyway, so clean out is pretty easy. I always get ask to do 3 or 4 burndowns during the summer for guys that are re-sodding & i just rinse a couple times, make sure stainers are clean and roll on

pieperlc

LawnSite Senior Member
How did you kill the battery? Doesn't the normal pump run off the battery on the Z? If so, how do you spray all day without killing the battery?

OP
James Cormier

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
That pic of the Zspray by the razor wire is classic:)

Any chance you can hose down the inmate population to reduce taxpayer burden??
lol..I wish!

Many come to the other side of the fence to ask if I have smokes for them...I try and pretend I dont see them or hear them

OP
James Cormier

James Cormier

LawnSite Bronze Member
Why not just use ur existing tanks? Rup works a lot like a soap anyway, so clean out is pretty easy. I always get ask to do 3 or 4 burndowns during the summer for guys that are re-sodding & i just rinse a couple times, make sure stainers are clean and roll on
Ive always believed that is a big no no...however I know some guys have done it..I would be very nervous for sure..That would be the easiest because the zspray hose does a great job.

Anyone else use round up in there machines and then use them for regular spraying?

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
I have used the tanks of my T for round up.

And just washed them out and turned around and sprayed yards with out a problem.

If you left 1 oz of round up in your tank and filled it with water and went out and sprayed yards nothing would happen.

I have a set up like yours for my T that i spray fence lines and other things with, But have never killed the battery. Most of the time your on the move.

Charles Cue

ted putnam

LawnSite Fanatic
Ive always believed that is a big no no...however I know some guys have done it..I would be very nervous for sure..That would be the easiest because the zspray hose does a great job.

Anyone else use round up in there machines and then use them for regular spraying?
Use the Z-spray James. I use mine occasionally and like others have said, a couple of quick rinses and and a fill of some other flavor of weed control and you're good to go. It's the easiest, fastest and most convenient way to get it done.

Puttinggreens

LawnSite Senior Member
James,

I have used Round Up in my Z-sprays many times, triple rinsed with plain water and have always been fine.

I even did this many times on the golf course with the same tanks used for spraying greens. My feeling is this would be situation most likely to show any detrimental effects. Bentgrass at low heights is very sensitive. Never had a problem.

Grass at 3+ inches is tougher than you think. If you are really nervous use some tank cleaner when your RU spraying is complete.

Are you spraying fence lines like the one in your pic? Could you angle the last boom nozzle a little and spray the fence line with just one nozzle turned on?

Looks like a good job!

Mark