• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Probelms with YP

LawnsRUsInc.

LawnSite Senior Member
I was wondering why everyone has a probelm with the YP? Everyone says it doesnt pay for itself at all! If you think of it as if you get 10 new customers at $40 per cut X 25 cuts = $10,000. Like my ad at the top its $280 per month x 12 = 3360. Who hear thinks iam off my rocker and wont get 10 clients? Also lets say i lose 10% of those new clients next year thats only 1 customer. And next year if i dont have the ad than those 9+ customers will become very profitable.

Any comments, Jason

yellow.jpg

Soupy

LawnSite Gold Member
What is your profit margin on those #'s? I don't think it is worth it for the 10 customers, but I do think it is worth it if you get 20.

The main reason why I don't run an add in the yellow pages is because It cost to much each month just to have a business line. All I would do is forward the calls to my cell anyway. I am listed in a smaller book, that doesn't care if you have a business line. Plus this year, I had my land-line # transfered to my cell phone. Now I don't have the added expense of a land-line just to forward calls.

I really like you ad! I would hope it brings you more then 10 customers.

Good Luck,
Soupy

dkeisala

LawnSite Senior Member
I like your yp ad - I use just a small box ad similar to the one on the upper right corner of your ad. I've used a larger ad in the past and it just didn't seem to generate enough business to justify the cost and I can make those dollars go so much further in different forms of ads. Most the calls I get are people that have seen our various other forms of advertising (trucks, trailers, signs, referrals) and can remember the name but not necessarily the phone number. They can look through the yp's or do an internent search. Seems like the yp calls I would get are shoppers - when I show up to do an estimate they have a list of a dozen different numbers they have called. Those are price shoppers and I want nothing to do with them.

But to answer your question, while a lot of people may have a problem with the yp's, they must work because they have no shortage of advertisers and many of us are in there regardless of whether we believe it's 100% effective or not.

rodfather

LawnSite Fanatic
Take the 10 grand, subtract all of the expenses associated with these 10 new customers, subtract the $3360 it costs you for 12 months and then tells us how much is left...

dougaustreim

LawnSite Senior Member
Several years ago, TORO placed our yellow pages ad in the wrong phone book. The only number listed was an 800 number so there was no way to tell actual location from that. The street address was for a street that was also a busy commercial street in the other much larger city than ours. So the average customer in that city looking at the yellow pages would have seen what would appear to be a legitimate local contractor. The only catch would be that they would not have known the name from word of mouth of course.

In two years we got a total of 5 calls from that market and 3 of them were for parts and the other two were shopping prices so we probably would not have gotten those jobs anyway.

Use your YP money to improve customer service and word of mouth will carry you much farther. Simple easy to read vechicle signs will also go a long way.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping
1973-

Scraper

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by Soupy

The main reason why I don't run an add in the yellow pages is because It cost to much each month just to have a business line. All I would do is forward the calls to my cell anyway. I am listed in a smaller book, that doesn't care if you have a business line. Plus this year, I had my land-line # transfered to my cell phone. Now I don't have the added expense of a land-line just to forward calls.

I don't know if you've looked into it recently, but the Verizon Yellow pages allows you to use any number for your listing. You no longer need a dedicated business line. I used my cell number for my ad.