Problem accessing the flywheel for removal

RoysAtco

LawnSite Member
Hi All,

I've got a Briggs&stratton side valve 281707 and I'm trying to get the flywheel off because I think/hope that the key has sheared. I'm nearly there but I don't know how to remove a part that's to do with the pull start mechanism. I can get left right movement of about a 16th of an inch but I'm worried about breaking it. I've researched the problem on YouTube and it seems to be a screw off part, but I can't do it. Can anybody help please?

Roy

IMG_20190826_140652.jpg

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
They make a special wrench fer it, but all ya gotta do is hit the big lugs with a flat bar. I use a 1"x1/2 " alum. bar about 6" long and nail with a hammer to unscrew it. RH thrd.
BUT... the play yer talking about could be from the molded in threaded steel insert getting loose.

OP
R

RoysAtco

LawnSite Member
They make a special wrench fer it, but all ya gotta do is hit the big lugs with a flat bar. I use a 1"x1/2 " alum. bar about 6" long and nail with a hammer to unscrew it. RH thrd.
BUT... the play yer talking about could be from the molded in threaded steel insert getting loose.
Many thanks BigFish. I was trying to turn it with a block of wood and hammer but no joy. I'll try harder tomorrow

Thanks.

TripleT

LawnSite Member
Like bigfish says lock the flywheel down and turn it. If you happen to break off one of the ears make sure you breakoff one just like it on the opposite side to balance it.

OP
R

RoysAtco

LawnSite Member
Like bigfish says lock the flywheel down and turn it. If you happen to break off one of the ears make sure you breakoff one just like it on the opposite side to balance it.
Thanks TripleT,
I was going to have another go today, but it's been pouring down all day and I'm working on it outside. I've still got my fingers crossed that the key has broken because it's been backfiring and nearly took my arm off twice, so it seems like a timing issue to me. Damn thing has been fighting me all the way to be honest.

Thanks again.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Look, if ya smack it on the BIG lugs, it ain't gonna break. I always insert the cover screw in the threaded hole so ya don't smash it in.

OP
R

RoysAtco

LawnSite Member
Look, if ya smack it on the BIG lugs, it ain't gonna break. I always insert the cover screw in the threaded hole so ya don't smash it in.
So I managed to unscrew it using a hammer and wood. I was expecting that the flywheel key had broken because of the pre-ignition, arm breaking symptoms, but it looks like I may be might be wrong. The key appears intact and the slot on the flywheel looks good but the shaft slot looks not great to my eyes. What do you think?
Thanks in advance

Roy

IMG_20190828_121407.jpg

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
but the shaft slot looks not great to my eyes. What do you think?
I think ya better pop the flywheel and inspect. Looks suspect to me.
Pull the flywheel.
Could just need a new key...

You can pry up on the flwl. using a big prybar or something ( I have a big cold chisel that I wedge under the edge ) staying away from the magnets/ stator.
Then Smack the crank squarely with a BFH. You can lay a penny or something on the shaft end to protect it from getting dinged up. One good hit will usually pop them loose.

Last edited: