Problem w/ Honda GX carbs

elitelawnteam1

LawnSite Senior Member
Why is it that my 2 hondas are ALWAYS needing carb rebuilds! It seems like i have to do it every season! I had put stabil in the tanks before winter, but that still didn't help.

I've never had this problem w/ my kawis or briggs, and it pisses me off because i planned on doing some aerating today, but i couldn't.

I always thought that Honda's GX series was the toughest, best, and most reliable, but now they just seem like a real soft engine that's too damn sensitive to the alcohol in the gas.

jeez, if the govt. allows 15% ethanol in gas, these things would be useless

WHIPPLE5.7

LawnSite Senior Member
Must be something your doing. I worked at a rental shop for 6 years with about 150 of them and I own several Honda of my own and never have this issue. Stabil is garbage, use Seafoam instead. Never drain a tank either, it can dry the carb gaskets then they might leak.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
all my honda engines never have had any problems. i run all the gas out before winter or use stabil and i've never had any issues. maybe you are using junk gas. use the good stuff like chevron, exxon, shell, etc. not cheap gas station on the corner.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a couple of the single cylinder Honda engines and never have any trouble out of them other than I have to keep putting gas in them. Although I have that problem with all of my engines.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
In addition to using good gas and fuel stabilizer, I have always installed a secondary inline fuel filter on the flex hose coming out of the gas tank. A piece of grass clipping or sawdust will clog the jet. The screen that is before the hose is not fine enough to stop it. But a 1/4" filter with the clear bowl and paper media will prevent much grief. I do this to all of my equipment that does not have a fine filter installed.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
there's alot of people on here that seen to have problem with ethanol gas. i've never had any issues with it. i think maybe you guys let it sit too long without using it. any gas i buy is used within a few weeks so it never goes bad even without additives like fuel stabilizers and such. the only time i use stabil is in my big mower during winter storage. everything else i run it empty before winter. it's not a good idea to fill up a tank with ethanol fuel and let it sit around for months. if you do that you will have problems. ethanol gas is only good for about a month before it starts to go bad. use stabil or something if you are gonna have it sitting around any longer than that.

OP
elitelawnteam1

elitelawnteam1

LawnSite Senior Member
I did put stabil in my tanks, they still went bad, and even before i did that, i ran seafoam through the engine. That's why im pissed, there should be no way they should be clogged like this, the same thing happened last year, the mechanic at my dealer suggested a different station, i switched, and it made no difference. The reason why i say this is because i've only had this problem with the 2 Hondas. Never the Briggs or Kawis or Echo 2Cycles.

I'd like to test the gas at surrounding stations, i'm sure it's more than 10%. Even better, I need to find a station that sells pure gas without ethanol and just buy that