Product for sedge w/ minimal Pre-Emergent effect?

Bluelude1

LawnSite Member
Did a lot of dirt work this year which included a considerable amount of fill dirt and apparantly it had a ton of sedge because the yard is 25% sedge now.

I've been trying to use Sedgehammer at the max recommended rate, but you'd think I was spraying Miracle Gro on it, as it's as thick and lush as ever, so I need to go about things differently.

This is my personal property so I have option to use MSMA (and I have some), but I plan on overseeding the bermuda w/ Double Eagle rye in a couple of weeks and I am trying to find something that will kill the sedge w/o having a pre-emergent effect that lasts more than a couple of weeks that's going to impede the rye.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Sedgehammer worked fine here. Applied about a month ago. Nutsedge dead and brown.
Yes--it is a bit slow at first. Charles is right.
Maybe including detergent or a surfactant in the solution would increase the kill ratio.

Calibrate carefully. A typical hand sprayer puts out about a quart per thousand sqft.

https://www.domyown.com/sulfentrazone-4l-select-p-17100.html

Sulfentrazone is another possibility. Works fast.

"Applications to sprigged, overseeded or reseeded areas: turfgrasses can be sprigged, overseeded or reseeded after Sulfentrazone 4L Select applications. Best results are obtained from waiting at least 1 month after Sulfentrazone 4L Select application before sprigging, overseeding or reseeding. If slight plant response can be tolerated, overseeding of Bermudagrass with perennial ryegrass can be done between 2 to 4 weeks after Sulfentrazone 4L Select application."

Last edited:

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Sulfentrazone is what I would use if Sedgehammer didn't do it, since Certainty does tend to linger in soil.

I've never not had sedgehammer work as a spot sprayer though.

OP
B

Bluelude1

LawnSite Member
I think I might have misread the label and used 1 tsp of Non-Ionic Surfactant instead of the recommended 2 tsp/gal.

Could that 1 tsp of surfactant made that much of a difference?

CHARLES CUE

LawnSite Gold Member
I think I might have misread the label and used 1 tsp of Non-Ionic Surfactant instead of the recommended 2 tsp/gal.

Could that 1 tsp of surfactant made that much of a difference?
dont realy know is the any brown on it at all. the last sledgehammer i used there was a 10% chance of rain, i looked at the radar and the was no rain. when finished spraying the last yard and loaded up and pulled out of the drive it poured down the rain it had only been sprayed for 10 mins and it all gone for now.