Production Rates

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by landscapedesignpros, Feb 11, 2019.

1. landscapedesignpros

landscapedesignpros LawnSite Senior Member

Ive been landscaping for 16 years and have used unit pricing the entire time. all of my pricing is based on I charge X per sq ft of pavers, walls, concrete, grass, grading ect. To be rather honest I really never paid any attention to productivity as I was the one on site setting the pace. We got each project done when we did and I knew we did it in the fastest manner possible as I was there. Well last year I finaly made the jump to not being on site and having a forman. I didnt have set production goals so while another business venture made up for it, my profitability in my landscaping business suffered. I am currently going to a production based estimating system completely based on hours. This is not a post to ask how much to charge its a post about production rates.

Im looking for some good places to help do checks off my production rates.

40 linear feet/ hour of laying brick edging in mortar
    10 linear feet / hour of digging the trench for edging
    you can mix 70 linear feet per hour worth of mortar
    40 linear feet / hour of setting concrete form work
    ect.

Where is a good place to see these rates to be able to check my production rates against somthing other than my brain as I really dont want to get into the season and need to be massively adjusting these or realizing too late in the year that Im priced too high or too low. Im expecting to need to tweek it but would like some place to check against while Im basicly building all of this from scratch.

hort101 likes this.
  2. landscapedesignpros

also yes Im checking them against my unit pricing but would like another sourse

hort101 likes this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Ive never been a fan of square foot pricing or what the neighbors lot that should be the same but in reality its not because of variables

Imo as an owner you priced it out with you doing the work which will almost always be faster then the best employee and you pictured yourself doing it and pushed hard so you wouldnt lose your shirt if you were low

I think you need to look at a job estimate best case scenario and worst case and figure that into your pricing as well as jobsite access
    you have your own records to come up with an average

Everyones got different overhead, tools, techniques ,employees and regional variations tooThumbs Up

I hope you get some numbers to compare but in my opinion what works for Joe Smith might not work for you

4. landscapedesignpros

"Everyones got different overhead, tools, techniques ,employees and regional variations tooThumbs Up"

To be clear I'm not asking how much to charge, as some one who's hourly rate is $25 would bankrupt me in a week. This has nothing to do with overhead. What I'm looking for is if you hand a person a shovel and tell them to dig a trench for edging or dig a square bottom 8" wide by 8" deep trench with no crumbs can they dig that at 10 linear feet per hour or 100 linear feet per hour. There should be an industry average production rate (NOT HOURLY COST) that technically applies to everyone in the same soil type. If that's 50 linear feet an hour then the guy that dose 100 gets a raise and the one that dose 10 gets fired.

While there will be some production difference between person to person company to company one guy with a shovel is only able to move so much dirt an hour averaged out.

I know what I get per linear foot of edging and my break outs of each task total that, I'm wanting to see if I'm light in mixing heavy in digging or vic versa, I know I'll be tweaking this through out the year but I'd like to start off as close as possible. This will let me hold guys alot more accountable and keep our production numbers up and get me back to the net I want.

hort101 likes this.
  5. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Even that can vary based on your location though. I can dig a hole big enough to bury a zero turn in the same amount of time it takes me to dig a 8" deep trench across 6 feet, depending on the soil type, compaction, contents, hazards, etc. Digging in heavy clay loaded with rock and roots from a nearby maple tree is brutal, but 5 miles away I might be digging at a new house that was backfilled recently with somewhat screened material. Only you know what conditions exist in the area you service. Maybe figure out how long it takes you to dig a certain sample size trench, and then assume every employee will be somewhat slower, so add a certain percentage of time into the estimate.

hort101 likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England